Josh Hawley lost his book deal, haw haw

Hawley-88

19 Likes

I kind of wonder what the publisher was expecting in terms of sales in the first place? I would have been very surprised if it was a big seller.

4 Likes

This disingenuous fuck. Last night, after the insurrection, Hawley thought it necessary to retell the absurd nonsense lies about the PA election. It was well played to have PA Senator Bob Casey speak next, and his reply to Hawley’s bullshit is worth watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=4981&v=iR729TRvM7c

14 Likes

The first question is why Simon & Schuster, a serious publisher in the business of making money on books, would commission a book from Hawley in the first place? The obvious answer is that someone must have decided that he would soon become a more national political figure, a successor to McConnell or even Trump. After yesterday the accountants at S&S must have decided that Hawley’s future is a bit dimmer.

He can probably move his book to a publisher like Regnery, which is more interested in publishing to move an agenda than it is in making a profit.

(ETA: I see @AnthonyI asked my first question!)

7 Likes

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 8.19.32 PM

40 Likes

He’ll find a nice home at Regnery Press.

1 Like

A lot of deep-pocketed rightwing orgs buy up big bunches of those books and give them away in various ways (while also driving the books up the bestseller lists).

18 Likes

He’s positioning himself as the successor to Il Douche and future leader of the MAGA fascists. As such he can’t go wrong appealing to the Know-Nothing 27% in that way.

7 Likes

No, that would only contaminate the sewage.

11 Likes

25 Likes

THINK OF THE SEWAGE! :rofl::rofl:

Indeed

2 Likes

The only reason they hate cancel culture is because it’s canceling their atrocity

4 Likes

A lot of the bigger religions have already come to this conclusion.

We shhould join them.

OTOH the Georgia flag would make a fine accoutrement for an English nationalist mob. “It’s five St. Georges flags, which makes me five times more English”.

3 Likes

I always found the pride in the St. George’s flag faintly ridiculous anyway. There are so many places that use it that it hardly makes England unique. How do I know a proud anti-European Englishman isn’t supporting such a European entity as the city of Genoa when they wave the flag?

Or the city of Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany?

Or the Bishopric of Trier?

7 Likes

There’s all kinds of smart. Math aptitude. Art. Body skills. Interpersonal skills.

There’s also pure rat cunning. I think that’s the kind you’re talking about here.

1 Like

Now that you mention it, being a proud supporter of Freiburg im Breisgau should probably be the default assumption. Love that city, and can’t imagine anyone not liking it.

1 Like

Not sure about the publisher, but I would NOT be surprised if Hawley wasn’t thinking stuff like “hm, if I object to the certification knowing that it’s not going to work, that’ll still get me a lot of free publicity and people will buy my book, love me, and then I can run for President”

5 Likes
19 Likes

The mental gymnastics it must take to think “MY free speech is more important than THEIR free speech” is Olympic gold medal level stuff. From Goya products to Facebook “censoring” these right-wingers can’t see (or don’t care, more likely) that when they chant “private business has 1st amendment rights! Spending money is speech!” (Citizen’s United) that it can have negative repercussions to their cause too.

6 Likes