Joss Whedon on claims that feminists chased him off Twitter: "Horseshit"

Exactly. When did we get this idea that famous people can never ever make a mistake or say something dumb or they’re a terrible person? I’ve said stupid things aplenty, but most people I know seem to like me anyway.

3 Likes

I’d like to waddle in to this if I may. I feel that perhaps we shouldn’t talk about drawing lines. Life being quite fuzzy in general.

Instead do as the opposition and focus on the goal instead. Like in the example of republicans gathering forces against abortion. Everything else involved in that “little project” is pretty darn fuzzy between the different parties, but the one thing that’s solid is the end goal of “Stop to this sort of thing.”

If we start drawing lines, no matter where they are put, someone will raise their hand and go “Yes, but…”. There will always be somebody who disagrees or tries to find exceptions just for the sake of it.

1 Like

What a SJW might look like.

(Yes, I am using your same strategy on how seriously I take the conspiracy theories)

1 Like

No.

[Quote]
Was that more important than their own need to be treated as equal human beings?[/quote]

No.

11:30 pm on cinemax.

@mindysan33 punches @japhroaig in the arm for never taking anything seriously.

7 Likes

From a writer’s point of view, I can kind of understand where he’s coming from when he says he needs the quiet. Social media can be a great thing, as is this kind of debate…but it’s also a huge distraction from the creative brain for some people (including myself). It can be hard to sit down and write when you’ve got noise from all sides.

I’d say Joss isn’t ragequitting, far from it…he just needs the headspace to focus what needs focusing on for his job.

4 Likes

Feel free!

That being said, what do we do when we don’t even agree on the root cause, which I suspect is part of the problem. There is a contingent on the left that assumes problems associated with racism and sexism will evaporate once we fix economic inequality, but is that the case? We do need to address specifics and the internal debate is where the progressives/leftists get tripped up.

Part of the reason that the opposition is able to focus on their goal, I’d argue, is that they don’t mind a more authoritarian/tradionalist approach. The leadership sets the agenda and they all are expected to fall into line. A more democratic approach is necessarily messy.

7 Likes

Just came in here to look and I find wombats? WTF? Bipeds confuse me.

9 Likes

But a Falcor is okay? Hmmph!

Now it’s ON, bro. Wombats vs. Falcors!

5 Likes

Those Lizard bastards.

2 Likes

sigh now there will be piles of luckpoop full of wombat bones out back

6 Likes

Joss treated comedian Jonah Ray really poorly on twitter after a misunderstanding at a party, calling Jonah a misogynist to all his thousands of followers, so it’s hard to summon any sympathy for Joss mistakenly being called a misogynist too. (Admittedly I’ve only heard Jonah’s side of the story via podcast but it seemed like a genuine misunderstanding that could’ve been resolved in the moment.)

4 Likes

This is something I have noticed for quite some time and found frustrating in the W years especially. Although since then the teabaggers have brought many of the liberal in fighting problems to the conservative side.

2 Likes

Noooooo!!! Not the wombats!!!

I agree, the teaparty has been something of an insurgency… but much of that is top-down as well, with people like the Koch brothrers helping to co-opt and broaden the tea party brand. I think it’s still elitist infighting more than anything else. Remember that groups calling themselves the tea party had been having anti-tax rallies for a while before the tea party got a national boost from Fox, and it really was a single issue organization. Now it’s become a much amorphous group, but funded top down to LOOK like a grassroots movement. It’s the authoritarian version of the grassroots.

3 Likes

1 Like

I agree the original movement was co-opted by big money and when big money can focus that group they can do some damage. But on an individual level they seem more likely to go off script and turn on the party than the classic republican.

It’s like making friends with a bully so he will protect you, but when there is no one around to defend against he gets bored and beats you up.

2 Likes

Clearly the work of that self-serviing, godless hosebag Black Widow.

[quote=“Mindysan33, post:26, topic:56919”]
That being said, what do we do when we don’t even agree on the root cause, which I suspect is part of the problem.[/quote]
Quite true. There is also, I feel, the single-mindedness that makes people think there’s one single cause somewhere deep down. I really doubt there is.
We are stuck on every part of solving the problem. We can barely agree on what exactly is the problem, not to mention what causes it or how to fix it. I wager there’d even be a fight over who is allowed to help.
I am not an advocate of strong, authoritarian leadership, but I do feel that sometimes you just need someone to do something, then fix what’s wrong with the something so it works better. A committee might argue forever, but all it takes is someone to strap some canvas to some sticks and push it off a cliff to see if it’ll fly. (I am not suggesting we strap wood/canvas wings on wombats and push them off cliffs. That’d be insane. They’d conquer Australia within a week and the rest of us by the end of the month)
Staring at just one direction will not get you far, you’ll be ambushed by the 1st Airborne Wombat Division eventually. But it gets you started and then you start looking around for a better route.

3 Likes

Which is weird, because you’d think that saying “You’re wrong and evil and going to hell” would be right within the wingnut Right’s camp, but it turns out that the Left can’t get rid of that classic American passtime of being judgy as fuck about everything.

2 Likes

How dare you? It’s the favorite passtime of nearly every human on the planet. :smile:
I know my granny was judgy as sod and she’d never been to america or know anyone from there.

4 Likes