Journalist for Russian TV interrupts colleague's broadcast with sign: "NO WAR"

Originally published at: Journalist for Russian TV interrupts colleague's broadcast with sign: "NO WAR" | Boing Boing

10 Likes

As noted here

with a later update here

(She was fined)

Posted here just in case anyone is not aware of the ongoing 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine thread

5 Likes

Apparently she appeared in court today, and got fined 30K rubles.

7 Likes

278.85 USD

8 Likes

I’m glad she’s back in public sight. Although they disappeared her long enough to make their point.

6 Likes

She’s headed to the goulash, unfortunately. I’ll gladly pay the fine, if we can find her…

9 Likes

I read somewhere (can’t remember where at the moment. Possibly Twitter or the Guardian, maybe Australian ABC or The Age) that her father is Ukrainian and that’s why she’s particularly upset.

Still, I’m glad she’s been ‘found’ again but won’t be surprised if she dies very suddenly in the not-too-distant future.

@Papasan goulash or gulag?

5 Likes

Are you flirting with me? :nerd_face:

13 Likes

You can’t send money to anyone in Russia regardless how much courage they show protesting against the current regime.

3 Likes

I mean, you can, it just takes a few days. Swift isn’t the only way of sending payments, it’s just particularly…swift.

That said, it wouldn’t be a good idea to send her money and open her up to accusations of being a foreign agent

10 Likes

I beg your pardon? Perish the thought! Dear Missus Papasan is at the forefront of my concerns!

9 Likes

Your wisdom is that of a practiced master, I leave you in peace.

9 Likes

now someone at Fox do this, please.

6 Likes

I think the conflation of a delicious, nutritious meal with an unhealthy, stealing-to–be-wealthy, military prison cell does not correlate…

I encourage peace all around. Scary times xx

2 Likes

This woman has more guts, more principles, and a more inviolate moral compass than the entire GOP combined.

7 Likes

Is no one else having difficulty with the fact that the main slogan on her sign is in English, a language most Russian (and Ukrainian) viewers cannot read?

I’m not reading a conspiracy in that. I think it just reflects that for a lot of people, the realities of this war (and other events) are disturbingly inseparable from the online conversation about it. This is a genuine act of civil disobedience, but it’s obviously also a performance for the audience on Twitter.

What’s disturbing is the thought that serious people are taking social media as seriously as it takes itself. I really, really hope that decision-makers aren’t influenced by something like “no-fly zone” trending, but I have a horrible feeling that they are. The concept of getting nuked because of Twitter should be much more of a joke than it is right now.

The medium is also the message. They might not read English, but they will recognise it, and know it as the international language of the Internet. (Also, you may be surprised how many Russians and Ukrainians can understand enough English to read that message, if only from exposure to the Internet.)

That “NO WAR” line had a message to Russians just from being in English, and that message is “The world is watching us: they see what we’re doing.”
And to the world outside Russia, beyond the simple display of dissent in the first place, the message is “I know you’re watching us: we’re not all going along with this”.

Those two words being in English was in itself both a message to Russians, and to the world outside Russia.

8 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes

Because of the “sangria law”!

2 Likes