Judge orders airline to compensate passenger for rotten fish in his lost luggage

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/16/judge-orders-airline-to-compensate-passenger-for-rotten-fish-in-his-lost-luggage.html

4 Likes

Collect it quick.

4 Likes

This case aside, if you are flying with any airline in Canada and they lose your baggage (or deny you compensation for a flight delay/cancellation), your chances of success are better going through small claims. The complaint and dispute resolution process through the CTA is broken, backlogged and heavily weighted in the airlines favour.

5 Likes

So now, along with shuffling through in our socks and pants drooping beltless, we will have to prove we don’t have fish products in our baggage?

Bogus. Anyone who’s had dandelions in their yard knows that that the roots at least were still viable.

2 Likes

When I lived in the UK, I once overheard a guy in a bar telling his friend about his business trip to France. He’d bought two big rounds of brie and put them in his luggage (along with his suit and everything else) to bring them back to the UK. The airline then lost his suitcase.

In his words “The bad part wasn’t that they lost it. It was that they found it.” The suitcase had been sent to Singapore by mistake, where it was stored in forty degree heat in an un-airconditioned warehouse until the airline finally found it some weeks later.

He said that when they finally delivered it back to him, he ended up having to pour gasoline on it and set it on fire; nothing in the case was salvageable, and the smell was eye-watering.

5 Likes

I saw the headline in the local news and thought they served him spoiled sea food not that he had checked it.

I thought this was going to be the person whose fish was shedding maggots onto other passengers.

3 Likes

Flair has a terrible reputation in Canada (I’m Canadian). They’re cheap, but your flights might get canceled last minute or your luggage lost (more than the established airlines), and the desk agents aren’t paid enough to care.

Like every other super discount airline startup in Canada, they are hemorrhaging money and are doomed to fail. This has happened many times since competition in the airline sector was opened up in the late 90s/early 2000s.

This guy knew what he was getting into when he went with Flair - they get bad press all the time. If his expensive fish was important, he should have shipped it ahead of time on ice, or flown with a better airline. Yes, they all occasionally lose luggage, but Flair is known for being especially bad. He gambled and lost.

3 Likes

On the plus side, the bag was really easy to find after a couple of days.

8 Likes

I blame the decline in reading classic comic novels. Anyone who has read Three Men in a Boat, etc. knows that the rule is “No cheese” and that the traditional remedy is to find a run down seaside resort and bury the article on the beach somewhere.

People will flock from all over to take the “healthy sea air”.

Sadly since the decline in tuberculosis cases, this is no longer a sure fire money maker.

Although with anti-vax on the rise…

3 Likes

The other AirTag.

5 Likes

In (I think) Cannery Row, John Steinbeck has one of his characters comment that if you really want to get revenge on a bank, rent a safety-deposit box and fill it with a whole dead fish.

3 Likes

I was gonna say, he payed $72 for dandelion roots? You can just go out and get it for free.

Those dandelion roots were probably THRIVING on the rotting fish.

2 Likes

Yes, beware of Flair.

1 Like

What now?
Must know more…

1 Like

Frankie Drake Mysteries Ew GIF by Ovation TV

And thanks :wink:

I thought he had filled his checked-in luggage with Swedish tinned fish and the airline lost it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.