Judge schools Fox and Friends on why Trump's birthright citizenship plans are so ignorant

I love out the guy on the right goes to the whole, “well the founding fathers could have never envisioned…” argument. This is exactly the argument that is used against the 2nd amendment, and of course in that case they think it holds no water. What hypocritical BS.

27 Likes

They don’t see consistency as a virtue, and often when they raise arguments it’s not because they are constrained by the logic of them, they just think you will be.

7 Likes

I never understood the desire to run the United States as a necrocracy. Which is why the “founders would never had imagined” argument is bad no matter where it comes from or what it’s used to justify. I really don’t care what people who thought it was okay to own other human beings might have imagined the future was like.

21 Likes

This, for some reason, reminds me of a discussion I had years ago with my uncle (who my brother and sister, somehow, think was a liberal, but I always saw as a conservative). He tried to tell me that flag burning is not constitutionally protected because the First Amendment protects “the freedom of speech” and in burning a flag you are not speaking and so therefore it can be banned.

1 Like

Yes! You know, those “founding fathers” who created the 14th amendment to the constitution… 90 years after the “founding fathers” created the constitution…

The 14th amendment is a fucking amendment to what the “founding fathers” fucking founded!

25 Likes

Exactly .

I don’t think it’s a good argument either, but it’s obnoxious when people recognize it’s a bad argument in one case and then use it in another.

4 Likes

Would you let your children watch it?

5 Likes

Silly rabbit, Trump doesn’t care if it’s legal.

20 Likes

Watching Fox & Friends slowly deflate as they learn something new about U.S. civics. Priceless!

11 Likes

Came here to say the same thing. Very well put @raoul

Well the founding fathers were dead by the time the 14th amendment was written. But they had the foresight to have a procedure to CHANGE the Constitution if enough people thought that it needed changing, say because of things that the founding fathers “could have never have envisioned.”

20 Likes

I wonder if over the next couple weeks we’ll see such an animated short come up during one of the ad breaks on Fox News Channel, courtesy of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver?

3 Likes

via GIPHY

I know he is dead and all, but this line of “reasoning” is pretty well established among “constitutional originalists.”

4 Likes

I love how they’re all “…but do you agree that the founding fathers couldn’t have forseen…”

This is exactly the argument being waged on the gun control issue and they’ve barely batted an eye when it’s brought up on that point.

What asshats.

5 Likes

I think your comparison is unfair. Dogs don’t have opposable thumbs, and so their inability to use a microwave is understandable.

The Fox crew made a conscious choice and their inability to understand is not quite so understandable.

Please do not misunderstand this as any comment on whether or not the Fox crew has thumbs.

3 Likes

But rutabagas do not have thumbs either, so…

2 Likes

You know, the plots of most “first contact” alien movies either contain saucer battles or nice lessons about new inter-species friendships.

I realise that if space aliens came tomorrow, it would instead be years of interminable debate about whether extraterrestrials were envisioned by the long-dead framers of the US constitution.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be much of an issue until one asked for asylum or was born here.

2 Likes