Judge schools Fox and Friends on why Trump's birthright citizenship plans are so ignorant

There is already a conservative talking point making the rounds that "subject to the jurisdiction " is a way to exclude children of immigrants, but the amendment has already been confirmed by the Supreme Court to include children of foreign nationals who are not diplomats.

8 Likes

Not quite true. Trump can do it if he can get five Supreme Court justices to say he can. Best guesses are that he’s two short at this point.

I think you are being way to generous, my friend. These folks can’t even read flash cards!

1 Like

Pants aren’t mentioned in the bible, so it must be evil to wear them. We can play this game all day.

3 Likes

THIS EXACTLY. His base doesn’t care about actual truth and rights, just talking about the idea of them when they are conveniently in their favor. But not for anybody else. And the big baby not getting his way just shows how the government is really “against” them.

4 Likes

Why would they wait for something to happen before they started filling airtime with debates about it?

They’re currently talking about an invasion that isn’t.

Defenestration might work.

4 Likes

It’s people seeking asylum from violence, political persecution, poverty, etc. But even if you framed it as such they would still find ways to say its not the US’ role to help them out (despite the fact that the US has a long and currently ongoing history of instigating/organizing corruption, violence, instability and tyranny in Latin countries)

2 Likes

He has got stuck with his hand in the conspiracy theory cookie jar a few times. Fox News even yanked him off the network for saying crazy stuff. However, he generally wont lie about the basic function of the law.

I think I remember him getting pretty creative during Obama’s term and saying some things that were outside of the legal norm. However, he can generally be trusted to call out Republicans when their legal theories are just batshit crazy(like revoking the plain language of the 14th amendment with an EO).

Actually, I think Trump might really believe he can do it.
One of the only lawyers who thinks you could do this is Kris Kobach. Recognize that name? He is the dumbass from Kansas who was going to find the 3 million fradulent voters for Donald.
So, Trump has a sycophant lawyer who has a history of kissing his ass with ego-boosting goose-chases who has been telling him that he actually CAN do this thing.

Also, Trump has been arguing that he can do this without a constitutional amendment since before the election. He even argued with Bill O’Reilly about it in 2015. Though, he was arguing about legislation and not an EO.

There is a lot of evidence that Dumbass and Chief really does think he can veto the Constitution with a fucking memo.

2 Likes

LOLwut?

orphan black

I’m thinking it is something more like this:
(or both)

(from “The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street”)
2 Likes

It’s certainly no secret that Trump posesses a profound and genuine ignorance of how the government works.

Whenever faced with the question “is Trump orchestrating a brilliant Machiavellian scheme or is he really just that stupid?” I tend to assume the latter.

12 Likes

look we expect this from trump day after day, ever since he came down the escalator and started his campaign with being vile, then the bus tape came out etc.

what I don’t get and actually fear are the 60+ MILLION people that voted for this and the great majority that will vote for it again

these are your neighbors and relatives giving him all this power and I don’t know how we ever fix that, even once trump is finally gone sooner or later, there will be yet another in his place they will vote for

2 Likes

I hate that argument, anyway. It isn’t necessary. Just like the 14th, the second states the intent in plain language. You have a right to have a gun as part of a well-regulated militia. Otherwise, all bets are off.

3 Likes

Well, there goes his place on Trump’s Supreme Court nominee shortlist.

Do conservatives understand precedent? Somehow I doubt most 2nd amendment fans would want a legal precedent set that an executive order could overrule an amendment.

1 Like

Look at Scalia. He ruptured precedent constantly and called it constitutional originalism. Which pretty much amounts to “I feel this way about this issues and the founding fathers would agree with me, you can’t prove they wouldn’t.”

Lots of conservative judges don’t care about precedent at all.

8 Likes

Aren’t you forgetting that he is “a very stable genius”? I mean, he told us himself. Presidents don’t lie, do they?

1 Like

Very scary, indeed! Am about halfway through Michael Lewis’ latest book, The Fifth Risk. The short of it is, what can happen when you turn running the government over to people who have very little interest government to begin with, and no desire to learn. The first chapter on the DOE and Rick Perry will scare the living shit out of you. Trump’s supporters wear their ignorance like a badge of honor. And Trump is playing them like Bela Fleck on a five string banjo. With apologies to Bela!

3 Likes