Julian Assange dragged from Ecuador's embassy in London and arrested

The Donald has been pretty bullish on Wikileaks, maybe he’ll slip Assange a pardon? Or at least a Whopper with a file in it?

15 Likes

But what kind of file?

14 Likes

Well, thank goodness that saint Edward Snowden is standing up for Julian Assange. Keep fighting the good fight, Ed.

2 Likes

You see, kids, this is what happens when you don’t scoop the litter box.

22 Likes

Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.
Benjamin Franklin

8 Likes

This seems like a good summation, although it is from 2012.

15 Likes

He is a loathsome individual but I don’t feel particularly elated about this and I can’t quite define why. I’d be very surprised if the charges of skipping bail aren’t merely a smokescreen to get him into the hands of the government of airstrip one and then extradited into trumpolini’s but we should have more faith in our institutions eh? :rofl:

3 Likes

Basically, if he’d stayed in Sweden, he would have been triply protected from extradition to the US. That’s regardless of how the rape trial would have went.

Instead he went to the UK, which has a much easier formal extradition process to the US.

If he wants to avoid the US, his best play today is to demand to be sent to Sweden, which would have an ironic charge we could use to power whole cities.

31 Likes

Good link, best to deal with facts rather than ‘what ifs’.
Due process should be applied and the genie is now out of the bottle.

2 Likes

“Officers made the move after Ecuador withdrew Assange’s asylum and invited authorities into the embassy, citing the Australian’s bad behavior.”

Translation: our houseguest, who was an asshole before he arrived, continued to be an asshole, surprisingly.

11 Likes

At least in London, when you’re being hustled along in a police van, you get a nice window so you can take in some of the historic sights along the way.

5 Likes

It shows just how much of an egotistic asshat Assange must be, that he couldn’t or wouldn’t behave well enough to not aggravate the Ecuadorians to the point where they pushed him out of the door.

22 Likes

I used to be a fan of Wikileaks and saw a lot of value in publishing the shameful secrets they uncovered. 2016 showed them publishing so much content that was far too one-sided. They helped Trump win, and the nightmare shitshow we’ve been watching unfold since is kind of unforgivable.

30 Likes

I’m amused at this:

The arrest came as the Ecuadorian President Lenin Moreno announced on Thursday that Assange’s diplomatic asylum and immunity had been withdrawn for "repeated violations to international conventions and daily-life protocol.”

It seems that Assange’s sloppy habits irked the Ecuadorians enough that they just kicked him out. (source). There’s something poetic about Assange being the architect of his own demise because he just could not get his shit together and not be a shitty roommate.

14 Likes

They got rid of him for political reasons relating to a change in government.

I’d love to see him charged in Sweden for rape and sexual assault. I hate that he is instead going to the US for political thought crimes. This is a real stain on the US’s pretence of standing for press freedom. China is.fucking.loving.this. So also Russia. They are laughing at the US right now, correctly, as a country of sanctimonious hypocrites.

26 Likes

The week’s not over yet.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I’m sure that what Assange has been doing is far more material than just a “thought crime”. I’m not saying that i’m happy he’s being extradited (i’m not), but considering how many dealings he had with Russian hackers and how much effort he put into propping Trump up i would say he’s way beyond thought crime.

It’s debatable what he did was illegal or not, but i doubt he’s going to get a fair trial.

5 Likes

The propping up Trump bit is what I can’t get my head around. Why did he fall on the side of a fascist wannabe?

5 Likes
12 Likes