Julian Assange dragged from Ecuador's embassy in London and arrested

Made me laugh! I’ll bet you slay 'em at open mic night!

4 Likes

More the latter than the former.

Yes, absolutely. Charging him for Wikileaks publishing information provided by their source Chelsea Manning is corrosive to freedoms of the press, speech and electronic communication. Forcible rape charges are nearly as far from that as is possible to get.

11 Likes

Yeah it’s funny how Wikileaks suddenly stopped dishing out dirt on the Executive Branch once Trump came into power, especially considering that this administration is the leakiest in American history.

31 Likes

Adding to that, if the US had wanted him picked up, they could have just asked the UK to directly pick him up.

They didn’t need a shadowy conspiracy of supposedly made-up charges to arrest him, just the vanilla extradition request.

6 Likes

God damn it, now I gotta remember which is latter and which is former…

5 Likes

To me it can be both. I believe the women, I also note that sexual assault charges aren’t usually taken as seriously as these ones. Assange should be held accountable for sexual assault, but instead it looks like the victims of the assault get to be pawns in a US scheme to take a political prisoner. It’s really easy to see the US, the UK, Assange and the Ecuadorean embassy as all being “the bad guy” here (and possibly the Swedish government as well, not sure about them).

14 Likes

They don’t need wikileaks then, it’s all coming out of the seams like a poorly constructed molasses storage tank.

7 Likes

Presumably the only leverage Assange has here is the threat that he can talk about the collusion with Stone to release damaging material on Clinton. Otherwise DT would be perfectly happy to let him stew. My guess is that the administration thinks that in the post-Mueller report world they are safe from Assange’s testimony.

5 Likes

The latter’s what you use to get on top of the barn, and the former is the guy that owns the barn.

24 Likes

12 Likes

I’ll never forget the morning after the election seeing Wikileaks tweet something along the lines of “So does anyone have Trump’s tax returns lol?” it made me sick.

2 Likes

“Oscar, close it. You look like the window of a butcher shop.”

(I think someone else had alluded to this, back when)

6 Likes

Does anyone doubt for a moment that Trump would like to use Assange to dredge up all kinds of misdeeds by Clinton so we can spend the next year re-litigating the 2016 election, or that Assange would be willing and eager to spin whatever tales Trumps’ people want him to tell to avoid jail time?

8 Likes

Of course, if Assange is looking for leniency or support from Trump & co., he’s going to be disappointed. The Orange One stiffs people working for him on principle.

11 Likes

If the Swedish government was in on it, and are willing to have operatives pretend to be raped, why not generate more damning evidence? Rape cases like his can be hard to prosecute, so why not fake injuries, get some corroborating witnesses? It would have diminished his support and made it easier to get him extradited and imprisoned.

4 Likes

He was instrumental in Trump’s successful presidential election. He has a friend in Trump.

That’s good imagery. Our current ship of state is currently a poorly constructed molasses storage tank.

3 Likes

Don’t forget this turdlet:

Capitalism+atheism+feminism = sterility = migration. EU birthrate = 1.6. Replacement = 2.1. Merkel, May, Macron, Gentiloni all childless.

5 Likes

Lots of reputable new sources publish leaks, but generally they analyze the information and determine the consequences of release. Often redacting sensitive information that isn’t newsworthy or is dangerous. I get the sense that isn’t how Wikileaks works and I think that is the problem.

5 Likes
7 Likes