Julian Assange had promised to turn himself if the UN ruled his detention lawful

I bet he wouldn’t have said that if he hadn’t already heard somehow that they had found in his favour. He is an attention seeker and a thoroughly unpleasant man. Having read about what he did in Sweden - what he himself has admitted to - damn right it should be a crime. Plus he has been playing silly buggers in the uk rather than having his day in court. I have zero sympathy for him whatsoever.

Sweden agreed to interview him from the Ecuadoran Embassy over video conference recently, to be clear.

Oh, you’ve met him?

Because otherwise you’re just going by accounts from some journalist.

I would agree that if he did what they want to question him on, he’s a shit, but I can’t speak to whether he’s pleasant or unpleasant based on that since we’ve never met.

2 Likes

To boot, wasn’t his bail a promise to turn himself in if the British courts ruled against him? He skipped out on that promise - costing his supporters £93,500.

into a werewolf?
around and do the hokey pokie?

…oh turn himself IN! :slight_smile: words and meanings and stuff…

1 Like

The problem with an embassy interview is that it makes the “take into custody” part difficult. It’s only now that the looming statute of limitations makes a trial moot that I’ve heard anything about Sweden agreeing to an overseas interview.

According to the BBC:

He is wanted on suspicion of rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion - allegations he denies.

According to the extradition judgement by the UK Supreme Court:

The offences of which he is accused and in respect of which his surrender is sought are alleged to have been committed in Stockholm against two women in August 2010. They include “sexual molestation” and, in one case, rape.

According to this presentation on the extradition by the aforementioned professor Christoffer Wong:

crimes: 1 count of coercion (olaga tvång), 2 counts of sexual molestation (sexuellt ofredande ) and 1 count of rape (våldtäkt)

Bingo. The whole thing is a goddamned farce.

If you were a prosecutor that was potentially trying to prosecute someone that you feel had made a mockery of the law, as well as someone you think has harmed your citizens…would you make a promise based around something that was never asked in the first place? If he has done what it is claimed, I’d not give him a single inch of a demand and let him hang out in the prison of his own choice as long as he wanted before being put into the prison that isn’t his choice.

Granted, I don’t know if he is guilty…but seems like Sweden does. But they can’t charge him until he shows up according to their rule of law.

Hello,

I would be unsurprised if Assange were under double-secret probation and still arrested whenever he left the embassy.

1 Like

it sounds like much of that money will go to the crack then.

If by crack you mean Hot Toys 1/4th scale Boba Fett figure, then yes.

http://www.hottoys.com.hk/productDetail.php?productID=273

1 Like

It’s not an assumption of guilt, it’s an assumption someone charged with a crime should have a trial to determine their guilt.

1 Like

yeah I don’t think Sweden actually knows he is guilty either. I think they suspect he is guilty.

They don’t need him in order to have a trial if they chose to do so.

No matter what the working panel rules, (although I have to wonder what they were smoking), Assange isn’t currently detained by anybody, legally or otherwise. Also, nobody is stopping him from turning himself in.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.