Sweden reopens rape case, plans to request Assange extradition

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/13/sweden-reopens-rape-case-plan.html

9 Likes

Obligatory:

35 Likes

“It’s all part of the U.S. government conspiracy against this brave and selfless freedom fighter.” /fanboi

24 Likes

The funny thing is, for Asante this is a good thing, since a rape conviction in sweeden is still better than extradition to the US and whatever would happen to him here.

10 Likes

Seven years cooped up in an embassy with only a beard and hygiene problem to show for it.

10 Likes

I’m trying to square up “statute of limitations expired in 2017” and “reopening investigation”.

What charges would they be investigating?

1 Like

The investigation for the rape case is not what the statute of limitations expired on, that was the sexual misconduct charges, and nothing else. The rape case did not expire.

30 Likes

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you.

8 Likes

I really think we’re close to that core dump of info/ dirt on Russia, it’ll be here any day now.

Wait for it…

11 Likes

I think that, maybe, the end of that paragraph could have been better constructed; unless this is referring to sexual misconducted by US authorities… Perish the thought.

4 Likes

Sweden doesn’t have a draconian prison system for sure. Still, it’s possibly Assange faces 4 or more years in a Swedish prison and then extradition to the US.

7 Likes

Didn’t you ever see that movie Hackers? That’s how they did it.

2 Likes

So this this one of those excellent opportunities to see if ones model of the world is correct. If my theory of what is happening here is correct, then Assange wont be extradited to Sweden, and instead will go to the US. If he ends up in Sweden then I was wrong.

Mind you, thats sort of conditional on when and who wins the next UK election.

4 Likes

It’s possible, but it’s much less likely for Sweden to extradite him to the US than for UK to do it.

8 Likes

Maybe he can start “Cell Adviser”; an on line resource comparing the amenities and experiences of being incarcerated in various prisons around the would.

“9/10, would Offend again.”

5 Likes

He had the hygiene problem before.

3 Likes

Sweden should try Assange for rape & then offer him political asylum.

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s the weakest part of Assange’s story about these “false” rape allegations. If the goal is to get Assange to the US it was always going to be easier to extradite from the UK than from Sweden.

It sounds like you are being pretty black & white about this. The best conspiracies still have to contend with bureaucracy. No matter what we think is going on there are almost certainly opposing opinions with UK government about where to extradite to, so it’s more like predicting the outcome of a game or an election.

All that to say that if Assange is extradited to Sweden and your theory said otherwise, you could say, “Well under my theory there was only a 90% chance of extradition to the US, so it must have just been the 1 in 10 case” and continue to think you are right! :smile: (intended as parody of using rational thought to justify anything - not directed at comment this is in response to)

5 Likes

I think you’re righ. His best move is to fight extradition to the US, and not fight Sweden’s request.

1 Like

I really don’t like the insinuation behind this argument. I think it would be awesome if someone did that, but that doesn’t mean that he or anyone else is obligated to do it for me. One-sided or not, everything he has released about the US government is apparently true. Ultimately, we all benefit from someone making it clear when our government is lying to us, and should encourage people to do that. The responsibility for doing things they have to lie about, and then lying about them to the public, lies entirely with the people doing the lying, and any embarrassment caused by this could be easily avoided by not doing those things, which our government shouldn’t be doing anyway.

4 Likes