Julian Assange is now an Ecuadoran citizen, but the UK government still won't let him out of the embassy

I just want to know why no one in the U.S. and been prosecuted or even indicted by the international courts for our war crimes?

American Exceptionalism,

3 Likes

Likely because of the political and economic power/standing/influence the US has. No other country has wanted to directly go to the lengths to hold the US accountable for various proven war crimes they’ve done. It’s also possible that most other countries also have their own baggage that the US could drag out against them. Tit for tat, everyone is complicit in some way.

I’m just making general assumptions though.

3 Likes

Except for offering to be questioned at the Ecuadoran embassy, which Swedish officials backtracked on a few times.

2 Likes
5 Likes

It’s only a war crime if you lose. Kind of like the difference between a “revolutionary” and a “terrorist.”

8 Likes

Alternate theory: Assange isn’t really a “hero” at all, but rather a self-serving free agent/asshole whose interests occasionally coincide with the greater good.

23 Likes

Seems more likely to me.

8 Likes

Well, according to American zeitgeist, I’m pretty sure that’s the definition of the word “Hero.”

8 Likes

Sexual assault is a serious crime and needs to be investigated. If warranted, the person should be prosecuted. This is true even when a person’s actions seem to align with my politics. Or your politics.

Besides, where are you going to find enough feather pillows in this day and age?

4 Likes

I thought American Heroes are prone to blowing buildings up

2 Likes

True. To be a “hero” Julian Assange should really blow up a building (or at least a large truck) and walk away from it while it’s exploding without looking back at the explosion.

4 Likes

Counterpoint: the United States hasn’t won a war since World War II, and that was largely because we aligned ourselves with Stalin. We cause unlimited death and destruction, but it doesn’t get us anywhere.

2 Likes

OK, how about: it’s only a war crime if you lose to someone strong enough to hold you accountable for it.

6 Likes

I know this is untrue because we made a banner and everything /s

11 Likes

I always assumed that there was zero possibility I could ever really know anything about Julian Assange’s character and actions. There’s just far too much money and power in the way.

But I assumed wrong…

…still and all, I agree with the world’s greatest no-goodnik

I don’t think he’s wrong to be doing the work he’s doing, or avoiding arrest (considering he’s unlikely to get a fair trial from the US). He’s shown to not be an impartial neutral voice, as such i appreciate him leaking information that helps hold governments accountable but i don’t trust him.

2 Likes

Agreed. This has never been exactly surprising.

1 Like