Juror at Kyle Rittenhouse trial removed after cracking joke about Jacob Blake shootings

If we weren’t, would there be an action movie industry in America? I dunno if anyone has ever calculated the percentage of killings in American cinema that were legally committed, but I am betting it doesn’t break the 1% level. Cheering for the guy who “kills people who need killin” has been an American pastime for 100 years.

I’d imagine the Venn diagram for

(Target Audience for Death Wish Franchise Films)

and

(People who Support Kyle Rittenhouse)

… would be a big circle.

I remember having an intense conversation, trying to convince a coworker that Michael Douglas was not the good guy in Falling Down…

4 Likes

Not just when they can, or have to, but actually GET TO USE THE GUNS. That’s been an openly discussed wet dream for a long time coming.

4 Likes

And yet they weren’t. The first guy he killed wasn’t even involved with the protests, just someone who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

9 Likes

Then they won’t be able to call them that per the judge’s rules.

2 Likes

“As long as they’re white.”

7 Likes

Rittenhouse lawyer’s theory of self defense

1 Like

White supremacy is alive and well in the US. After all the police violence last (and this and future) year, they doubled down on keeping the police in Minneapolis. People can chant slogans all they want, but when it comes to action, nobody wants to do the real work.

1 Like

You would need to add “and their allies” to that, because Rittenhouse’s victims weren’t Black.

10 Likes

White people don’t want to do the real work. Black Americans and other Americans of color ARE doing the real work.

13 Likes

Up there with people who didn’t realize Fight Club was ridiculing them. Those who only remember the first half of the movies or only know it from outside references.

4 Likes

Most of them are. And then there are ones like Winsome Sears whom white people just adore.

1 Like

I haven’t exactly seen people here supporting her, so I’m not sure what you’re on about? Yes, some white people hold up conservative Black politicians are proof that they’re not racist. Sure. Most people with some understanding of how our racist system works is not really fooled by that. We can see how openly racist the GOP has become, even as they continue to include some Black voters and politicians. Many of us are also aware of the roots of racism in the modern GOP. Spend some more time here, and you’ll see just how well acquainted many posters here are with what’s happening in politics lately.

10 Likes

The person who you were addressing is both an educator and an activist; ie, your comment is ‘preaching to the choir.’

12 Likes

I would argue that when almost 44% of voters vote to defund the police, that is not “doubling down” on keeping them.
Our previous governor (different state) won office with just over 44% of the vote :woman_shrugging:t2:

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.