Prospective jurors refuse to serve under rapist-friendly judge Aaron Persky

[Read the post]

8 Likes

You are a warrior ā€” with a solid steel spine.

Joe Biden is an awesome human, and that young lady is courage personified.

53 Likes

I came here to say pretty much the same thing.

5 Likes

If juries refuse to serve under this guy on a consistent basis, will that have the potential for long term career impacts?

14 Likes

Itā€™s just a fraction and within a month none will remember his name any more.

But in the meantime I wonder what will happen to the affected cases. Is there a legitimate concern that an ideological subset of jurors removing themselves from the pool will bias the outcome?

6 Likes

That would be the ideological subset of staunch anti-rapists.

11 Likes

The judge could have charged them with contempt of court - heā€™s apparently got some political awareness for not doing that, and itā€™s brave of the jurors to be willing to refuse (especially the first one.)

What he really has to worry about is the prosecutors and DA boycotting his courts, which theyā€™ve occasionally done to judges they disapprove of in this county, and which is seriously rough on a judgeā€™s career.

8 Likes

I know this probably isnā€™t the place (but Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s an open thread for things like this). But I finally stood up, publicly, to a guy who was really horrible to me after I was raped. Itā€™ll never be as amazing as what this young woman wrote, and it took 7 years, but it felt really good. He sees nothing wrong with hanging around with the guy, and inviting the guy out to hang out with his friends, to this day.

I feel a little high.

On topic: Refusing to serve on juries for this guy is the right thing to do. I hope it hurts him.

52 Likes

Indeed. Donā€™t you think thatā€™s a problem, if youā€™ve got a jury full of pro-rapist people?

Or were you assuming that ā€œideologicalā€ means ā€œbadā€?

2 Likes

I think it might fit in our victory thread:

It was brave of you to stand up to this guy. Good for you! Fuck that dude! (found a less sarcastic looking gif)

22 Likes

Reminds me of an Arlo Guthrie story about resisting the draft.

And the only reason Iā€™m singing you this song now is cause you may know somebody in a similar situation, or you may be in a similar situation, and if your in a situation like that thereā€™s only one thing you can do and thatā€™s walk into the shrink wherever you are ,just walk in say ā€œShrink, You can get anything you want, at Aliceā€™s restaurant.ā€. And walk out. You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think heā€™s really sick and they wonā€™t take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think theyā€™re both faggots and they wonā€™t take either of them. And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in singin a bar of Aliceā€™s Restaurant and walking out. They may think itā€™s an organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day,I said fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Aliceā€™s Restaurant and walking out. And friends they may thinks itā€™s a movement.

And thatā€™s what it is, the Aliceā€™s Restaurant Anti-Massacre Movement, and all you got to do to join is sing it the next time it comeā€™s around on the guitar.

13 Likes

ā€¦picking the jury in the misdemeanor receiving stolen property caseā€¦

Iā€™m going with ā€œnoā€.

1 Like

Did you read the post we were actually discussing? The one that starts ā€œIf juries refuse to serve under this guy on a consistent basisā€¦ā€

1 Like

While weā€™re learning about consent, maybe Vice President Groper Cleveland could practice keeping his hands to himself.

No.  

3 Likes

I know itā€™s far too much to expect but I still hope the actions of the prospective jurors will keep the judgeā€™s name in the collective memory for much longer than just a month.

3 Likes

Weā€™ll all just have to hope that it wonā€™t have a ā€˜severe impactā€™ on the poor fellow. It would be horrific to blight his judicial career over one caseā€¦

6 Likes

Urmā€¦ Itā€™s a 18 minute story/song.

If the judge is unable to empanel a jury for a case repeatedly, hopefully his superiors (or the prosecution, or the defense) will argue that he needs to be removed from service for cause.

No Severance package, no golden parachude, no pension. The Judge woefully failed at his job and he should have to deal with the consequences.

1 Like

Oh, I get it. Whatever your babbling about and RAPE are the same thingā€¦

3 Likes