Just This Banjo: free/open banjo instruction for an angry moment, because you can't be sad while playing the banjo

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/29/frailing-times.html

3 Likes

free/open banjo instruction for an angry moment, because you can’t be sad while playing the banjo

Well, you can be mad, but maybe a banjo can still help, even then.

It usually is a lot more fun to play them, of course.

7 Likes

Cool, but if you actually want to learn how to play the banjo, Tom Collins and Clifton Hicks have better videos.

1 Like

This is my favorite instruction video - well, audio - for the banjo:

2 Likes

Some evidence backing your headline claim:

5 Likes

About 3 months ago, I picked up a Ukulele because I was depressed. Really easy to play. Happy Birthday by the first week.

(Might not be for everyone in the household.)

10 Likes

Its weird how the opposite of happy is sad, unless the opposite of happy is angry. Yet the opposite of both angry and sad, is banjo.

4 Likes

http://cdn8.openculture.com/2017/08/28221226/5855201480_13e81b79f0_b.jpg

2 Likes

While I appreciate the joke, I’d say that the by opposite of happy is sad and the opposite of angry is calm.

1 Like

I love Patrick, learned the banjo from him, bought my banjo from him, he does great work. That being said, it’s a little ironic that he is seeing vitriol on the internet and wanting to put a stop to it. A quick mention of his name on other banjo forums will show you what I mean. He isn’t 100% at fault in every instance, there’s a lot of jerks in the community, but he can be super nasty to people who disagree with him. He goes zero to a thousand real fast.

1 Like

you can’t be sad while playing the banjo

2 Likes
3 Likes

Can confirm it’s hard to be sad playing a banjo, but you can sure make some sad music with it.

I’ve found it’s uncommon enough (at least in suburban Michigan) that when people encounter you playing, they’re left a little amused and a little nonplussed.

2 Likes

Karen Dalton was the shit. Thank you for posting this.

2 Likes

I have a friend who was homeless wandering Europe with a banjo. Their advice is that if you are ever lost in a foreign country with no money, it’s good to have a banjo.

3 Likes

" [because you can’t be sad while playing the banjo"
But you can be afraid when hearing banjos playing

my pleasure!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.