Just when you think this dune-riding motorcycle rider is a goner...

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/26/just-when-you-think-this-dune.html

10 Likes

Needs music:

Should start at :23

8 Likes

Pretty sure that’s cheating.

6 Likes

I was relieved to see the bike got its own parachute!

33 Likes

That’s pretty rad. Much respect.

6 Likes

I’ve had dreams like these.

8 Likes

I can’t help but think that shit like this will become the norm in our utopian post-scarcity future.

I think about Star Trek. Even though you can pretty much do anything stupid you want in the holodeck, humanity will spread across the stars doing sick flips and tricks in the real universe.

Sure, some folks will join Starfleet to explore and sleep with weird alien lifeforms. Some may become scientists and engineers, unlocking the secrets of the galaxy. Others will open boutique restaurants or tend their ancestral vineyards.

A sizeable portion will spend every waking hour trying to hover surf down Olympus Mons. Because they can.

14 Likes

I have as well, but mine don’t come with a parachute, so they’re a bit more terrifying. There’s this one about driving a fast car over a long, high bridge that just… ends…

3 Likes

I was chasing this video down the screen as pop-up after pop-up burst in to life; shoving the playing video off my screen again and again. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Or, as Ian Curtis put it…

11 Likes

Me too. I dream that I’m jumping higher and higher, but then I jump too high and as I hit the apex, I realize that there’s no way I’m coming back down without breaking every bone in my body.

Those are fun dreams.

7 Likes

Yes, it’s called cheating death.

6 Likes

I’m incredibly hard to impress.

I’m impressed!

3 Likes

I didn’t (couldn’t) watch the entirety of Timerider (1983) since it seemed so silly at the time way back when… but now the trailer makes me think I should have another go at it. The one scene I sort of remember from the movie: Bad guy – flabbergasted – saying “He’s riding… ON TWO WHEELS!!” or words to that effect.

2 Likes

My dreams are kinda the same, only running on a̷̙͒l̶̝̍l̵̖̂ f̵̪̍o̴̡̕u̶̧̅r̶̻͑ l̶̪̉̊è̶͍̖̍g̵̢͕̈́s̵̝̋͌ ẁ̷̛̞h̵̢̨͘ę̴̛͖̈́͜n̵̤̋̅̈̌ ̵̲̆̓t̴̩͖̆̀h̵̨̗̯̒̔ȅ̶̪͖͔͙̿ ̶̜͕̦͈͌̕͝͝g̸̝͓̟͈͌͋͌̐̀́r̵̫͙̮̪͈͓̱̓͒̈́̋̀́ó̷̊ͅu̶̡̮͍̹̹̥̒̈́̽͊̽͝ń̷̘̬̂̽̕̚͘͝d̸̡̺̤͎̙̭͐̄͒͐͆̕͝f̷̤̪͖̜̹͉̪̯̈́̈́̄̿̆́͜ą̷̛̿̎l̴̢̲̳͉̪̈́̄ļ̷̫̫͍̝͉͕̭͔͂̓̔̉̚s̷̨͇͔̬̺̳̥̹̰͛͗͊̊̀̌͜ ̵̡̪̻̣̮̭̮̞̇͌̑̓͒͐̋̚͜ͅa̶̡̱͙͇̭̰̯̒͊̂ŵ̶͍͖̹̹̯̤̱̽̏̅̈́͠ą̷̼̾͘y̴͖̎̋̅

ä̴̯̤̥̦̓͌̆̄̓̿n̷̛͓͇̬̩͎̙̰͎̺̋̆́̈̚d̶̜̜̠̜̱͔͉̿̅͠ ̷̞̬̝͒̈͂ÿ̶̙̹̺͈̒͋̕͝o̶͕̭̘̗͖̽͠u̷̫̪̲̬̓́͒̀͋͑ ̶̖̩̣͉̭͛͐͑̓͜͠t̴̡̛͈̣̍̀̇̓̚ū̷̜͎̭̗͕̒͐̔͗͘̚m̵͎̱̗̃̍͗͊̀b̵̡̲͕͓̙͎̅̍͒̒̍̇̋̚ͅl̵͍͌́́̾͋e̷̥̬̍ ̵̹͇͉̩͔̘͔͗ͅȉ̵͓̹̦̏̾͑͠͝n̸̛̞̲̻̫̣͔͚̽̉͒̾͂͐̊̌́ṫ̸̬̲͎̮̫̘͔͕͉̼́͑́̓̔̂͒̕o̸̦̜̲͈͆̏̄̅̀̍͑͛͝ ̸̡̩̙̦͈͓͙̯͈͙͛̏̚ṭ̵̞̮̭̈́̄̒̃͜ḩ̸̺̖̯̝̣̟̐͗ͅę̷̛̞̳̞̹̮̦͛̊̍͂c̷̭̺͉̱̖͍̝̝̺͎̙̖̩̩̻͂̊̆͂̓̚ͅy̶̫͉̮̬̤̟̱̿̾̐̚c̴̢̨̧̡̡̛̮̙̱̻͇͎̯̲͇̱̣̮͉͔̲͚̝̝͆̌̑̽̇́̈̏̌̍̑̔̇̍̒͂̽͐̏͘͠l̸̨̡̟͈̞̤̟͚̦̰͕͍̪̮͚̥͉̮̤͕̹̖̜͉͕̃̍̓̓̎̊͋̆̄̋͊͊̂͒̈́̔̈̎̽̄̊͛͘͜ò̷̡̧̨̜͙͍̣̖̺̗̞̘͈͇̦̦͉͎͇̏̑͜ͅͅp̸̛̛̫̫̩̩̣̘͕̠͇͔̺̦̤̣̭̙̖̳̺̤̤̿̋̐̓̀͛̔͆͗̈́̎̈́̆͊̕͘͜e̵̟͖̻͓̻̞̓̄͌̇͑̇̔͗͛́̄͂̓͐͂͌͑̍̕̚͘͝a̸̛̲͎̲̥̣͔͆̆͛͛͌̕̚͝͝ñ̴̛̬̉̈́́̔̽̉̈́̏͛̐͊̃̕͠͝ ̵͎̟̼͚̎͊͑̏̽̇̀̀̓́̈́̆͛̇̈́̏̄̊̇̍͂̔̕̚͝͠ų̴̢̧̡͕͈̜̞͍̥̝̖̥̮̗̙̯͍͙͓̻̞͓̗͙̈́̀̓͌̓̈́̏̈̇̇̒̚̕͜ň̵̡̧̡̡̪̠̻̟̪͔̳̞̬͕̮̭͇̠͉͇̰̈́͊̽̎̅̾̈́̉̑̓͑̽͐̔͑̈́̆̌͐͘̚͝ḏ̷̨̧̨̢͉̖͉̥̲̪̣̹͉͎͈̹̼̲̠̩̩͙̟̐͒͜ë̶͈͎̣̟͈̝́̉̒͘r̶̭͋͗̓̓̓̔̃̒̔̋̇̄́͆͂̒̃͗̽̐͝͠͝w̴̠̝͚̣̠͐̅̎̇̾̋͐̈́̃̋̍̏͐͆͗̔͛͑̄͆̔͝͝͝͠o̸̩̅̈́̓̒͐͆̀̄̔̏͗̽̕r̷̡͉̫̠̖͖̗͕̱͉̘̗͔͍̘͖̺͊͆̈́̅̓̏̿́͝ļ̷͇̰͈͇͓̗̥̭̫̖̗͚͆̏͐̐̏̆̈́̈͆̊̈̆̽̏̓̐̈́̒̑̚͘d̴̨̨̫̪̺̯̹͕̣̫̫̱͔̍̽͋̀̚.

4 Likes

Okay I am really impressed and this is incredibly badass.

Can I trade lives with this guy?

1 Like

Whatever you say, Mister. (no idea how to embed this)

ateambiker.m4v (2.3 MB)

5 Likes

Bravo! Impeccably timed!

I love it when a plan comes together.

2 Likes

Thanks! Shotcut is free, multiplatform & open source, with a small learning curve with lots of tutorials. To the ending freeze frame I added the Technicolor filter.

1 Like

Dune-riders face greater hazards than mere gravity.

dune-rider

25 Likes

Hey, that’s MY ‘learning to fly’ dream mang!
OK, I guess there is a lot of airspace up there, we can share.
Flying is easy, landing is hard. Often I wake up just before impact (ie NOT landing).

Had the scariest dream that I was one of those miners trapped far below ground and they rig up this tiny capsule that they drag up a tiny air borehole or something. I get in it and am scraping along when at the the halfway point the thing gets jammed and the cable snaps!

6 Likes