Trailer of Dune

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/09/trailer-of-dune.html

12 Likes

I see your SEO.

3 Likes

Conserve water. Avoid computers and sandworms. Drugs will make you cool and witches are sexy.

57 Likes

I am trying to keep my optimism cautious, but goodness–this trailer is gorgeous.

27 Likes
24 Likes

It’s all so… monochromatic. Brown. Black. More brown. Grey. A little green in one scene. Oh, wait, there you go, some Freemen blue eyes.

The only thing that looks visually cool is the shields. Everything else looks so. drab.

2 Likes

to buy the entire six-book series (even after all this time, there are only six Dune books!) and read the first two of them.

One piece of advice given to me about Dune books: Forget about sunk costs. After the first book, it is never too late (or too early) to stop. I made it halfway into the third book and put it down and haven’t regretted a thing.

20 Likes

Been a few months since I read it, but at the point in the trailer where Paul mentions “the crusade” – is this accurate to the book? I know it was referred to as “the jihad” repeatedly in the book and I’m sincerely hoping it wasn’t changed for this movie.

There’s a fairly (for 1965, I suppose) diverse set of beliefs and influences in the books that are really gonna be shortchanged if they avoid mentioning Islam in some misguided attempt to appeal to 'MURICANS who aren’t gonna see it anyway.

8 Likes

I have been worried about this movie, as much as I’ve loved Villenueve’s work.

But I begin to hope. There are still shields, even if the shield combat looks too fast. The gom jabbar trial fit exactly into the images that played in my head when I was far too young. The same for the sandworm’s salute to Paul. It’s gloomy in its pallete but so was the book in my mind. I remember it as mostly storms and night.

I wish the stillsuits weren’t so obviously recycled motorcycle armor. I wish there was more allusion to the larger game of thrones being played (maybe it will be in the movie).

Of all the shots in the trailer, though, the one that caught me the most was a second or two of Jessica’s flight with Paul in the 'thopter. That was the point at which I bought into the book, and this rendition made me feel like I was right back there in that moment.

Please, give us at least this for 2020?

13 Likes

As Blade Runner 2049 showed, a great production design does not make a great (or even good) movie.

11 Likes

I was able to pick out all the major characters, except no Baron Harkonnen.

I quick check on IMDB showed me it’s none other than Stellan Skarsgård, a great casting. But no Feyd-Rautha listed at all?

And who is this Glossu ‘Beast’ Rabban that Dave Bautista is playing? A Sarduakar commander or something?

2 Likes

Beast Rabban is the Baron’s nephew who was in charge of Arrakis before it was given to the Atreides.

7 Likes

Looks like just another Star Wars knockoff tbh

5 Likes

It is a bit of a dry read.

19 Likes

It’s hard to make a sci-fi epic that doesn’t look like a Star Wars knockoff because Star Wars was basically an amalgam of a bunch of other sci-fi epics, Dune included. (There’s a reason Luke Skywalker lived on an arid desert planet filled with tribes of “sand people” and subterranean monsters)

28 Likes

A couple of the costumes look great, but nothing made me “wow”.

Pink Floyd? Was Aerosmith unavailable to do an original score?

Still expecting to see it! Just hoping it tips a bit more into the art house category than what this first trailer looks like.

3 Likes

While I don’t expect a 3-minute trailer to inform you that the source material is about a decade older than Star Wars, I am impressed that it inspired you to tell us you didn’t like it.

You did a good internet today. Go have a popsicle.

8 Likes

Don’t worry i’m sure it will be widely received as “boring”

4 Likes

Yet I still greatly appreciate a wonderful artistic direction.

3 Likes

Psst, it’s about drug dealers,
a dynasty of drug dealers.

11 Likes