Trailer of Dune

Man, you definitely shouldn’t watch Hidden Fortress then. That thing is FULL of Star Wars rip-offs.

I thought God Emperor had some moments, but oof it is definitely a matter of diminishing returns. I think they suffer from the same problem of scale that makes the Foundation series less than the sum of its parts: the first book does this amazing job of creating a world and stakes of such magnitude that they can barely be understood, and each subsequent book multiplies that by a factor of 100.

Maybe in part II? My understanding is that this goes up to the time of the betrayal, with the second movie taking it from there.

Although Spice just might be serving as a metaphor.

13 Likes

I personally loved Bladerunner 2049, there were some plot elements that didn’t quite gel for me but overall i found it to be a pleasure to watch. However the one scene where they brought back a previous character that was dead was done in a way i didn’t care for.

Dune i’m relatively optimistic about, i don’t think it will fully capture the story in the books but i think we need to be ok with that. I do hope for the best with the movie but i guess we’ll see what happens.

17 Likes

Are you kidding? The ornithopers actually have wings this time. I think it’s rather stunning.

9 Likes

My read of Dune is that it is a very monochromatic and sparse world (at least among the official imperial world.

Once you get into the Fremon world that does change.

4 Likes

I might have been distracted, but I didn’t see Sting in the trailer.

13 Likes

Sure, but the costumes could have a little color to them. Hell, they should, like it’s all about feudal politics/gang affiliations and color is a big part of how you signal that. Even if the planet is visually sterile, the things humans make absolutely wouldn’t be.

I’m not saying you need to go full on Moebius from the Jodorowsky Dune concept art, but… just a little?

4 Likes

Never say never

13 Likes

I missed the part in the books where Palpatine resurrects.

1 Like

Also, did anyone else find the choice of “crusade” a bit…jarring?

11 Likes

I was thinking “you got your Matrix in my Game of Thrones!”.

The fantasy hero tale is old and well explored, just different names and costumes.

2 Likes

The Pink Floyd might be a nod to Jodorowsky, who was going to use their music in his Dune.

24 Likes

Ah man, it’s been years since comments needed to be approved on BB. Or maybe I’m in commentor jail? [dejected emoji]

2 Likes

I’ve found that particular words might trigger the post approval thing, in which case you can reword it and try again. I’ve very rarely had it happen… maybe 2-3 times in years.

6 Likes

I see what you did… :joy:

5 Likes

Stephen Colbert nerding out and interviewing the cast.

7 Likes

This … has to be epic-level trolling!

1 Like

This book is about ecology- but don’t ask what the hell those giant worms have to eat in the middle of an empty desert?

6 Likes

I appreciate the compelling ∩ rotation, but either bite the bullet and use ∈, as in

⊃ ∪

or rename the planet and any references to it “Dunc.”

I’m totally neutral as to which option.

11 Likes

The ‘kill them’ hazy dude at 1:23 is most likely the Baron.

7 Likes

Bautista is cast as Rabban. I think he’ll do great in the role.

7 Likes