Trailer of Dune

I’m liking the costume and art direction. I still think David Lynch’s Dune still beats this one in that respect but over all it feels like Lynch’s with respect to the costumes. The 1999 mini-series really messed up its costume designs by comparison. I’m hoping whomever they cast for Fredrick Corrino (Shaddam IV) they stick to the original reference that Frank Herbert used which was Fredrick Barbarossa of the HRE (basically think roided out martial emperor).

3 Likes

That goddamned pink floyd song is going to be stuck in my head all day. If I never hear that band again it’s too soon.

2 Likes

I assume they felt “jihad” was a bit too off- putting a term at the moment.

3 Likes

Book 3: The spirit of Baron Harkonnen possesses the body of his granddaughter Alia. So yes, pretty much exactly what Palpatine had planned for Rey.

10 Likes

Luke, Paul, Jon (SW, Dune, GoT). Why do the heroes always have boring first names when everyone else is around them has awesome names. Han, Darth, Leto, Duncan, Mance, Arya.

I don’t want my world to be saved by some asshole named Todd.

11 Likes

:grin: :grin: :grin:

3 Likes

The whole worldbuilding crashes when they were to cowardly about that.

3 Likes

I feel like this movie is making every effort to not be Lynch Dune, but also simultaneously desperately wants to be Lynch Dune.

(This is not a criticism.)

10 Likes

As well you should.

Are you talking about the wacky title? I assume that’s supposed to be a reference to way the middleish 3 books of the series are titled. “Children of Dune,” “God Emperor of Dune”, “Heretics of Dune,” and now “Trailer of Dune”. Naturally.

Or do you mean something else?

The first 3 and the last 3 are totally separate arcs. I found the first 3 compelling even if they did get into prophetic grinding at the end. The last 3 were so centered around the God-Emperor’s obsession with his own ultimate fate and consummation of love that they were hard to get into.

I actually like the way it looks. Carefully optimistic here.

4 Likes

I posted a link to the trailer in a Discord group I’m in today, and someone replied “I hope Hollywood doesn’t wokify this.” To which I replied “what?”, because wokify isn’t a word. They were referring to Hollywood being “woke”. I started to go there, but regained my senses and just backed away, but I was thinking, “I know you read the books. I know you did. Did you just completely miss the subject matter?” Anyway, trailer looks amazing. I’m cautiously optimistic.

4 Likes

Rob posted this article before the trailer came out.

10 Likes

I’m not sticking my hand in there.

26 Likes

Mind blown.gif. That’s interesting.

1 Like

but they do use an ∈…kinda…just watch till the end;

dunelogo

see?

2 Likes

It’s about Space Jesus and inter generational worm love.

12 Likes

I’m a sucker for beautiful landscape shots, and if a sandworm is in it? Oh yes!

This is just the latest auteur interpreting Dune. The difference is that this one read the books as a teenager, and reading big science fiction and fantasy hero stories with great worldbuilding as a teen changes your life. I don’t expect it to be anything like Lynch’s version, except it will also be beautiful, but it’s coming from a different place - a director that wanted to bring the book to life, rather than a director who was intrigued by a script.

I am happy that most of it is practical. I loved the Pink Floyd cover in the trailer. It’s ticking all the boxes, so far, so I’m afraid. (In 2020, everything I enjoy gets ruined. Or so it seems.)

Aaaaand they’re doing it in IMAX. This may change my mind about attending theatres again.

12 Likes

First ornithopter design I’ve seen that I actually liked

8 Likes