Trailer of Dune

Toto or GTFO.

6 Likes

That may very well be the case, although the choice of PF’s Eclipse (perhaps Denis’s reference to the eclipsing moon in the Dune logo) may also be in play.

3 Likes

Why do all modern movie trailers contain over-wrought, usually slowed down, ham fisted covers of songs???

3 Likes

The Dune books (like the Lord of the Rings) are better in retrospect. Reading them is just a long, hard slog. They payoff only comes later, maybe many years later, when all you can remember is the immensity of the story and its literal awesomeness. But, actually reading them is a bit dull.

5 Likes

The biggest question the trailer answered for me was how they were going to depict the body shields. It looks pretty good to me.
FilmShields

6 Likes

love everything about it. and btw, at my last count, there’s 19 Dune books. not all are worthwhile, but i do not regret reading them all.

3 Likes

I’m thinking the eclipse references in the title and soundtrack are an oblique reference to Paul, AKA Maud’dib - the name of the desert mouse which can also be seen in profile on the moon above Arakkis. (Much like the “man on the moon” over Earth)

[Spoiler alert]

Maud’dib’s armies blot out the “sun” of the old empire. Neat. Makes the eclipse reference an artistic statement about changing power structures, an apt metaphor for audiences in 2020.

[Snark alert]

Only six novels! Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Good one.

1 Like

It’s nice that they got the ethnic mix of desert dwelling people right this time.

4 Likes

If there was a way for them to sneak Michael Bolton into one of the scenes as an extra, and them have him deny it, I would forgive this year for all its done.

3 Likes

I don’t think we’ve seen any mentats yet (except for a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it shot where Thufer Hawat is holding a parasol in the background).

I forgot about Feyd-Rautha until you mentioned him. I wonder if they combined him and Rabban into one character.

During the 1970s, Alejandro Jodorowski tried to make a film of Dune. He compiled a book of concept art to help pitch the film to investors, and after the project collapsed copies of the book circulated through the film industry. Members of Jodorowski’s team, went on to work on other science fiction films including Star Wars and Alien.

There is a documentary about the project.

10 Likes

This looks nothing like the Dune trailer that leaked

21 Likes

If it was colorful then it would be ‘this is Dune, why is there so many colors?’ Anyway, HDR will actually make the drab look amazing.

4 Likes

They’re like whales. They sift the sand, filtering vast numbers of small plankton-like creatures from the spice beds, and refining the spice in the process.

14 Likes

Even though I could add a million qualifiers to this statement, I’ll still say that after having seen the trailer, I’m looking forward to the movie.
Mainly b/c director Denis Villeneuve is clearly a fan of John Schoenherr’s classic illustrations for the book, and he gets lots of points for that.
Finally, a dragonfly-like ornithopter!
Gonna be great eye candy.

7 Likes

That’s my favorite Parliament Funkadelic album.

14 Likes

I’ve wondered if Herbert took some inspiration from ambergis, (exotically valuable weird smelling stuff found in the sand …)

7 Likes

That wouldn’t surprise me at all.

1 Like

well actually, the letter “c” doesn’t appear in the fremen written language. and don’t get me started on their “e”.

oops, in sorry did i write fremen? i meant frcmcn.

3 Likes

youre riiight. seriously forgot that detail. so not landsharks

but desertwhales?

(i cannot believe nobody posted that timeless, beautiful classic cover -which haunted me in my dreams first time i saw it as a 6-year old and forever since- already)

12 Likes