Kansas kid corrects anti-drug teacher, cops raid his house

Or come with an interesting engineering idea. It’s not just the underwater-basketweaving majors who toke; at least half of my IT staff does, and numerous other techs I know.

…and getting stoned while thumbing through a Kuka catalog of industrial robots resulted in an idea of having a self-maintaining house; two robotic arms on the walls, and a number of mountpoints for the arms. Each arm can unmount the other one and mount it to another mountpoint. That way they can “walk” over the house to wherever they are needed, whether for watering the vegetable garden or cleaning the windows or gutters.

1 Like

Wait, seriously?

When will this tech come to the consumer market?

1 Like

So far it is just a concept and a couple drafts on smoke-reeking paper scraps. :frowning: We’re budget-limited. But I reckon a prototype could be done if some large-enough decommissioned industrial robot arms become available.

Given the current boom of DIY micromanufacturing (3d printing, CNCs…) and the accompanying growth of DIY robotics, scaling the tech up should not be impossible, even without the scrapped big-money gear. It’s all just power actuators with some feedback. Maybe some scrapped forklift hydraulics could be usable there? (Random thought. Could transesterified vegetable oil, otherwise used as biofuel, be used also as a biodegradable hydraulic fluid? So eventual (and unavoidable) leak wouldn’t contaminate your lettuce? (Apparently yes…))

…a more stoned concept was a robot factory, with hexagonal grid and cooperating robots, where a neighbor can repair or modify any of its neighbors or cooperate with them or build a new neighbor or help with customization for a specific task. A massive self-growing self-reconfigurable factory, a hive mind of robots. A more advanced version of that thought involved a mining/smelting plant to produce the needed raw materials, and ability to be sent to Moon or Mars or wherever to build first many replicas of self and then a base (and helium-3 mining rigs and other goodies).

1 Like

boingbong, you can do better. it’s pretty obvious the plausible explanation is the raid was due to the cops’ reasonable belief there was marijuana in the house, and not because the kid corrected the teacher. having an honest look at the facts is not incompatible with disapproval of prohibition.

2 Likes

Do you think that perhaps there might be a slight chilling effect if people speaking out in favor of marijuana legalization are immediately raided by the police, on the grounds that advocacy is probable cause?

22 Likes

Werd…

5 Likes

Dude that’ll like totally work!

All the opportunities!

8 Likes

That video was useful. One thing a lawyer told me is to clarify “is that a request or is that an order?” when a cop tells you something is going to be a certain way (like you can’t go into your home). I once had a cop say “you have to open this door”, and the lawyer advised that I should have asked “what will happen to me if I refuse?” as a way of clarifying whether it’s just a request. It also forces them to make a decision about whether they have probable cause to arrest you right then, which of course can be risky if you don’t want to be arrested.

In this case it seems moot because an officer tells someone if they enter they will be arrested, and mentions some BS charge.

3 Likes

How large?

Good catch! (Out of likes, yet again.)

2 Likes

At least 3-meter reach, to be good for something in context of a reasonably sized house.

I need to get mildly stoned or mildly drunk or get some sunny afternoon to bask on the terrace, and spend some quality time with pen and paper…

The entirety of the “War on (some) Drugs” is insanity writ large. The law itself seems to be the biggest cause of harm. Certainly that is true here. Please, make it stop.

4 Likes

Doubt it. Judges are constrained by the law…even when it’s a stupid law.

2 Likes

Thanks for the video. I love the way the state official says they are there concerning “the well-being of your son.” As if removing a child from a home that has loving parents (lacking any evidence to the contrary) and maybe a little cannabis and making the child a ward of the state is somehow gonna be better for the child.

I have to say that if I were a police officer and I was ordered out on a call like this, I would very likely find…nothing…if you know what I mean.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

On edit…

How is that the police, without a warrant, can bar someone from their own home?

4 Likes

Police in the US tend to have a lot of leeway to do things they ordinarily couldn’t easily excuse if they can guess that “evidence” would be destroyed or moved. Which is probably what most people would do, if they knew cops were trying to bust them for possession of something.

Can’t wait to fill my house with NO STEP marks between the ridiculous hard mount studs (and cat puppeteers.) P90X needs to be a little weirder to get any traction, keep going.

Most people just got sucked into a Sonny Chiba movie (thanks, ep.21 of Aldnoah.Zero!) by the force of your logic. Yay, princesses! http://www.hulu.com/watch/352207

Also; evidence of something prosecution of which is deprecated, but still sort of a thing. 99.97% dishonest police work, there!

Maybe the city fell behind on paying lawyers for the month and needed to open some more entries for the bar who have fallen on fallbacks in that recession?

They didn’t dream up a way to pay for that did they…cause damn, that might be more expensive than the house itself.