Kansas teacher fired for joking (?) about farting on students now having success as a comedian

Originally published at: Kansas teacher fired for joking (?) about farting on students now having success as a comedian | Boing Boing

1 Like

“They don’t understand it. The social media policies are designed for Myspace. They are years behind where we are currently at in the world, which is TikTok … everyone is on it,”

I’m unconvinced by this argument (is he arguing that no one know’s it’s him on TikTok? Because obviously they found him), but it sounds like everyone’s happy, now that he’s moved on to comedy.

3 Likes

I think he was claiming that the school board (or whoever enforces the policy) does not understand how people use social media, and that time and the evolution of social media sites have resulted in the publics use and expectations on them to be different that what the policy expects.

There is probably some truth to that, but it is a weak argument. He’d be better comparing LinkedIn to TicTok and saying that venue is important and there is a difference in how we would expect him to behave in say a parent teacher conference compared to if some parents stumbled into him doing a set at an open mic night at a local club.

Note: None of my opinions on this are influenced by my companies social media policy, which is perfect and wonderful and has never resulted in me not engaging in a topic here, where I have some knowledge or experience, because it would directly violate said policy and associated non-disparagement clauses.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.