Kari Lake pitches for less math, science, and history in public high schools (video)

Originally published at: Kari Lake pitches for less math, science, and history in public high schools (video) | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I think I need to book some time on the James Webb Telescope to see how far we have gone past Satire.

28 Likes

Bill Hicks is turning over in his grave.

18 Likes

So the republican plan for “education” would be to graduate dumb, obedient workers. Got it.

29 Likes

Anyone with a proper high school history education will be able to identify a number of fascist characteristics of her short speech. As a bonus they will also know that fascism is not a healthy ideology.

30 Likes

27 Likes

Comedy Central Lol GIF by Awkwafina is Nora from Queens

18 Likes

(yep) Emblazoned upon the secret republican grotto archway (possibly in poor Latin) is “Keep 'em Stupid - Keep 'em Scared”. And that remains their major stratagem to date.

31 Likes

Would be? Has been, for decades.

And sadly, it’s been working.

24 Likes

Not even sarcasm. This is just the plain truth. Ignorant and compliant is how they like them mudsills.

19 Likes

First it was “We don’t need to fund the arts and humanities because school should be for focusing on english, math, science, social studies and history.”

Then it was “We don’t need to indoctrinate kids with Critical Race Theory or the LGBTQ Agenda. Just focus on english, math and science!”

Now it’s “You know what, I’m not comfortable with my kids learning anything at all.”

31 Likes

The future US workforce needs to known STEM and and history or, if not, Chinese.

22 Likes

Here I agree with @west: our international competition says that even what we require is not keeping up.

10 Likes

So she’s into that “lifting heavy objects” curriculum.

4 Likes

The concept of “heavy objects” might be a stretch for her. From the looks of it, she’s not into the whole “Newton’s law of universal gravitation” curriculum, either.

3 Likes

download-1

22 Likes

That’s the plan for public education. The plutocrat wing (and to a lesser degree, the Southern racist wing) will continue to send their kids to private schools. This allows them to “justify” (at least to themselves) their continued place in management and their ever-outsized wages that come with that.

10 Likes

I’ve read that private Christian schools mushroomed in the South after the end of segregation, because religion gave racist white parents an alibi for sending their children to schools where all the children were white. Backdoor segregation through privatisation was also an impetus behind the growth of small government conservatism and libertarianism.

15 Likes

Yes. That’s why I had the parenthetical statement about the Southern racist wing. For decades, middle class whites in parts of the South have been perfectly happy to starve the public schools for funding because only POC and PWT sent their kids to them.

To bend over backwards to give Kari Lake credit, “hours of instruction,” is a terrible metric. It says nothing about how effective that instruction is or what is actually covered by it.

8 Likes

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does PWT stand for? I did a quick search but nothing I saw stuck out as fitting the context.

2 Likes