Painting reveals interior of Bruegel's Tower of Babel

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/16/katsuhiro-otomos-painting-of.html

5 Likes

I love Borges, but you mean Tower of Babel, right?

3 Likes

Cool, now someone needs to do the same for Bruegel’s other Tower of Babel

And then find the missing third one and do it for that one too.

4 Likes

Thanks. That’s another twenty hours of Minecraft right down the drain.

9 Likes

I’m going to plug Tower of Babylon here, the charming story by Ted Chiang (found in the same anthology as the story on which Arrival was based) that does a pretty cool job of exploring how the logistics of such a tower might work, including some allowance for fantastic physics.

5 Likes

If you like this, check out my planetarium based kinect game where you, as a construction worker building the tower, must ascend for your workday, but avoid the wrathful rays streaming in. This is video filmed from the game running inside a planetarium.

3 Likes

So, it really existed?

Well, there certainly were some big ziggurats in Babylon and the other Mesopotamian cities.

2 Likes

On side of packaging: Planetarium not included.

Very cool by the way.

Another Trump Tower? Like the Wall, this thing was supposedly never finished. Instead, the whole country disintegrated in confusion.

1 Like

That is hilarious. And if history is any guide, there will be a max of two games for it.

1 Like

The spelling of Bruegel for a name pronunciated Broygal irked me, so I looked it up.
Brueghel, Breugel, Breughel, Brügel, Brügl, Brögel and Briegel are spelling variants Pieter Bruegel himself used, I found out.

1 Like

I always figured the myth was based on Babylonian buildings the Judahite captives built.

1 Like

In Dutch/Flemish “huis” is pronounced like “house” in English; same vowel letters but used very differently…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.