Keanu Reeves' band Dogstar has reunited

Originally published at: Keanu Reeves' band Dogstar has reunited | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Is he sirius?

9 Likes

Wow, all original members!

3 Likes

They’re really pretty good. I’m surprised they never went further in the 90’s with their sound.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a good thing that Keanu had something to fall back on…

2 Likes

When an actor tries to do something else—play music, write novels, whatever—they are in effect competing with their own other career for attention

Unless Reeves were better at music than at acting, it would always have been covered in the media as a kind of vanity project

2 Likes

The coverage seems to go hard one way or the other. Either it’s “oh look at this weird vanity project from a celebrity who doesn’t know to stay in their lane” or it’s “OMG this person is a renaissance man/woman who can do anything!!”

The distinction doesn’t always seem related to talent either. I don’t know how they decide who is a vanity twat and who is an amazing creative genius.

3 Likes

It is super annoying to me that Dogstar is nothing while 30 Seconds To Mars is treated as a real band…

1 Like

I saw them play at Glastonbury in (I think) 1998. It was before The Matrix came out, and Keanu wasn’t beloved at that point, so I think most people turned up just to watch the spectacle and occasionally heckle. They didn’t get bottled off, but I did see Keanu take an orange to the chest.
I don’t remember much of the music, but I think it was ok? About what you’d expect from someone playing on the Other Stage in one of the morning slots.
I remember thinking at the time, that it must be weird to be in a band where one member is a famous actor. On one hand, you’ll always be “Keanu’s band”, but on the other, you will get a lot more opportunities.

ETA: Now that I think about it, it must be something like having a famous parent.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.