Kenneth Anger and Brian Butler occult theatrical extravaganza in L.A. on Sunday

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/16/kenneth-anger-and-brian-butler.html

I was raised Mormon and stuck around long enough to attend temple ceremonies - where my basically naked body was “washed and anointed” by elderly temple workers and I was instructed to pantomime various forms of ritual suicide as a warning against revealing the temple secrets I learned there.

Cult or occult, it was quite a theatrical extravaganza in its own way.

3 Likes

I’m really surprised Kenneth Anger still walks among us.

1 Like

Yes, I’m surprised too. Have you seen his experimental films or read his books? The dude has been around for a helluva long time.

1 Like

There needs to be a “film school” version of Netflix, where you can see experimental film, arthouse film, and classic documentary.
If it already exists, I need to know where that is.

1 Like

According to Wikipedia, he’s 89 and started making movies back in the 1940’s when he was very young indeed.

2 Likes

I had to search YouTube. Here is his first publicly displayed film, Fireworks (1947).

The homoerotic themes are very daring for the time. I haven’t seen this since my sophomore year, over 30 years ago. I wonder if I picked up on the visual puns.

Here’s another—I guess we should say that it is as much auto-erotic as it is homoerotic.

And finally, a clip from Scorpio Rising. This is a much more dense collage and you might be able to see where he is exploring metaphysical and occult themes.

2 Likes

Ha ha I was going to post those myself :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.