Ketamine helps depressed patients temporarily experience pleasure again

Mild hallucinations? 0_o

2 Likes

If you’re talking serious depression, no, they really don’t. God Himself could reach down from Heaven and personally give you a handjob and it wouldn’t pierce that wall of blank, all-consuming numbness.

16 Likes

They can make all the new drugs they like, but they can’t actually force anyone to take them, and the generics aren’t going anywhere. Someone I know quite well cough takes setraline and has no plans to change.

You don’t need to take enough to get you high or enough to put you in a Ketamine-induced coma in order to have the affect.

At low doses, LSD gives all sorts of interesting benefits without causing hallucinations and most of us will never take enough Vitamin C to experience hallucinations but you can hallucinate from taking enough Vitamin C.

3 Likes

Mild hallucinations are like your normal surroundings, plus you might catch a glimpse of an alien being.
Strong hallucinations are like when you are disassembled to atoms which are beamed to its homeworld.

Oh, believe me, I know…

2 Likes

I think it’s really unlikely that you’ve experienced severe depression if you think that drugs, food, and sex can alleviate it. @redesigned had a pretty thorough debunk of the illegal drug portion so I’ll just mention the exercise, food, and sex.

No. They do not temporarily alleviate depression.

I love a good meal. I really do. I think good food is one of the best reasons for living (sunsets, kittens, puppies, and music are some other things). Depression has severely dampened my enjoyment. And, what’s worse, it’s made it nearly impossible for me to regularly cook the complicated stuff I enjoy cooking.

The sex suggestion is kind of amusing. Not only does it not cure depression but it’s a lot less likely that a depressed person will be interested in it and SSRIs have a tendency to decrease libido even further. With the decreased energy that comes along with depression, you have less to work with when it comes to going out and finding potential partners.

9 Likes

Common “sights” in peripheral vision, when objects actually seen are interpreted as something else - a shear cutter as a standing person, an electrical tower as a tree or vice versa, a random object as a cat… If you get tired enough, you can have these easily, no drugs needed.

5 Likes

Yep. I do that about once every three to four years (not on purpose; I like sleep, I just don’t do it very well). While not fun like taking recreational drugs, I really don’t find them that worrisome when they happen.

2 Likes

Surely it must be possible to tweak the molecule - fluroketamine bromoketamine etc. in a way that requires a fresh patent. Perhaps some compound that can be taken orally, whose metabolite is ketamine, the same way that Vicodin is synthesised into morphine by the liver… Start your pharmaceutical engines

2 Likes

I was joking about the ET stuff (kind of). I am fairly prone to audio distortion and hallucination as well. For visuals I more often experience distortions and dissociations than seeing anything which isn’t there. Such as seeing my usual visual field folded into a tube or vortex. Or not recognizing a shadow or reflection, but seeing it as a different separate thing.

As for K specifically, I find it somewhat interesting, but it always makes me nauseous when first administered. The regenerative use of it is interesting news.

Doesn’t ketamine cause bladder damage with continued use?

I do that quite more often, when schedules/deadlines happen to collide with my sleep non-pattern. Also not exactly on purpose.

It’s quite easy to get used to this “don’t trust your peripheral vision interpretation” kind.

This distrust can however get a bit bizarre results. Once I needed a little spring, and it was in the shop. I did not bother closing the doors when moving there and back. Once back, with the piece of coiled wire happily obtained, i see something grey on the floor and it moves. A cat? Here? Am I that tired?

On a closer look the hallucination was still there, walking around like it is the landlord of the premises, and demanding to be let out.

That was when I learned that the neighbours upstairs have a grey cat.

4 Likes

See, I get super-strong acid flashbacks when I’m tired, and it’s always small, skittering cat-like creatures.

1 Like

Aye, but that’s more addict-level abuse generally.

Great. This phrase search shows it verbatim on many many other sites.

Sneaky discussion-forum spam for a most likely poorly working self-help book.

How depressing…

5 Likes

I have been taking Paxil for anxiety and depression for more than ten years. Lately I was diagnosed with early stage type 2 Diabetes and immediately gave up all my favorite foods, especially refined sugar. Guess what? This proved far more effective than the Paxil has been in reducing my sourceless anxiety. What!?!?! Why did none of my doctors or even my therapist recommend this? Also, could it be a side effect of the metformin? I know you are not my doctor, or even my friend for that matter. Maybe this knowledge and the chat here about it could help someone else. I would just be interested to hear your interpretation of my experience. (Would it be better as a hypothetical?) (And the paxil has done a lot of good.)

3 Likes

Or just take too much benadryl! Even low doses of benadryl can cause me to hallucinate mildly.

2 Likes

I don’t know. I wish I could still eat apples. But if fruits and sweets didn’t cause you digestive trouble [instead causing you a whole nother kind of trouble], then I doubt that they would have interfered with tryptophan absorption, and I am sure there are many other causes involved.

1 Like

I’m just happy to have the word for what I suffered for a year: anhedonia. It was hideous.It was like all meaning and significance had been drained from the world. I had the formal diagnosis of (and treatment for) major depression, but somehow it helps to have a name for that one symptom.

I’m curious though: is it the same “deadening” that also made it impossible to feel sadness? My depression was partly because of a loss, and I wasn’t able to grieve properly. That was just as bad in its own way.

YAY FOR DRUG RESEARCH. There is still so much we don’t know about how the brain works. It would be sweet if this was the psychiatric equivalent of first aid for the severely depressed. Like, later you have to get stitches or set the bone, but for now we need pressure to stop the bleeding, or a splint to prevent more damage.

4 Likes