Ketamine helps depressed patients temporarily experience pleasure again

Sounds like another reason that they’ll keep it illegal.

when I read MarjaE’s post and then yours, I was floored. After years and years of doctors trying to pin down my IBS as well as being treated for occasional depression, I discovered all on my own that I have Fructose Malabsorption. I cut out all high fructose corn syrup (not easy, its in everything) and within short order the IBS disappeared as well as me being able to cut my med intake by more than half. HFCS is a blight on this society.

7 Likes

The neurochemicals released during sex and food consumption, are part of our physiological process that reward these behaviors, because they are necessary components of biological success. Addictions develop when our reward systems (i.e. receptor sites either agonist or antagonist, for dopamine, oxytocine, acytacolyne, seratonin, endorphins, epinephrene, enkephalins, adrenaline, etc.) become unbalanced due to learned behaviors that manipulate these physiologic processes to maximize the release of neurohormones that provide momentary positive chemical release. So as I wrote previously, any behavior or drug use that causes these pleasure chemicals to interact with our amygdala will most definitely provide “temporary” relief from depression, which is the absence and allostatic state of not having an adequate regulation of these same neurotransmitters and neurohormones.

1 Like

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/4-illegal-drugs-could-safely-treat-depression?paging=off&current_page=1

Psilocybin is a much better treatment, with significant long-term benefits, for those suffering from depression and the negative effects of chemical imbalance.

1 Like

mild transient depression, sure, but not the type of depression being discussed. apples and oranges.

Many hallucinogens have anti-depression effects when used on occasion, as most the common ones act on the serotonin receptors and often have a reset effect on neurochemical balances. we can potentially learn a lot from looks at how they function and applying those techniques to future medicines. ketamine has a unique action on the receptor that the linked to study expands upon that makes it of particular interest to study, there is a reason it is being discussed specifically. psilocybin does not have the same action/effect, but i think it should be available for medical treatments and study as well as a number of psychoactive substances. we’ve let the stigma against them keep us from using them in medical applications and that is a shame.

2 Likes

There is a marked difference in how the public can be spun on recreational drugs for which legitimate medical uses have been discovered as opposed to drugs that were designed and manufactured by Big Pharma which are then used quasi-recreationally.

Snide, opportunistic governmental types recognise this lever point and will ultimately always fall back on the paradigm when they feel the need to appear ‘Tough On Drugs’. Which always seems to coincide with one or the other parties attempting to enact sane drug legislation.

The ghost of anti-drugs propaganda is not just slyly programmed into the populace by a manipulative governance (any more) but has evolved into its own cultural shibboleth, held close to the heart as a tool for delimiting in and out groups by those members of society that wish to amplify their responsible and grown-up ‘in-ness’ whilst handily demonising the ‘fringe’ elements who would clutter up their utilitarian and austere reality.

The differentiation between the two kinds of drugs becomes ever the more important, then. What are these anti drug people to do when they need a fix? Well, no problem! They can take the Good Drugs. The drugs where the enjoyment factor is a side effect.

And so the Very Important Difference is continually amplified, anchored around the at-once diametric concept of pleasure.

And they want to employ a recreationally used drug to stop people from feeling ‘anti-pleasure’!? No wonder the straight-laced people are having a hard time thinking about this topic.

They are way too fucked up by drugs.

1 Like

Everything in moderation, my friend :wink:

I only had it once, by accident. It was supposed to be x. Weirdest bush doof ever.

Or become a wall.

Salvia Divinorum is weird.

1 Like

"Any and all recreational drugs, "
No.

Just no.

2 Likes

If anyone wants to know what the effects of long term treatment with ketamine is like I will be happy to let you know. Have been going to a treatment clinic here in Arizona for 2 years now. I’m hearing a lot of disinformation that is going on. It saved and still saves my life. I have a treatment every 2 to 3 months now. Have never had a hallucination. Does cause a disconnect. No sort of dependence. It’s delivered via IV over a 1 hour period. Dose is 50 to 60 mg? Timdlittle@gmail.com. I’ll be happy to tell you all I can.

3 Likes

That’s not so much compared to the doses used in anaesthesia, so not surprising that your side effects are low. Bear in mind though that some people will dislike it if they just perceive a movement in their peripheral vision then turn to see nothing there. That’s a not uncommon experience —and technically an hallucination— that can occur at that small dose.

1 Like

thanks for sharing your experience! so glad it is working for you and helping.

1 Like

I work in support of medical research and had heard about “Vitamin K” to treat depression a couple of years ago. I mentioned it to a relative, who’s a practicing physician in Canada, and she related that she had used it for a patient who was severely depressed and suicidal, which was her immediate concern. She knew it was temporary for the patient, but preventing self-destruction was the point and useful in that situation. The patient, in 30 minutes or so, had a “What was I thinking?” revelation.

1 Like

Agreed. From talking to the docs and what I have found on my own. People get vials of it dry it to a powder and snort it. Which is a huge dose compared to what they are using as a depression treatment. I’m out 3 months a treatment now . The clinic I go to is the depression recovery center in Scottsdale arizona. It’s been pretty amazing for me and others. That being said. Might not be for all. And one good side effect. A reduction in pain from my injuries.

1 Like

I spent 6 years at home suffering from PTSD from the war. The first treatment was like being woken up. After that is was wonderful boring normal. Now it’s my treatment along with cognitive therapy. I don’t like to say miracle. But it is what it is. A great new tool in the tool box for treatments.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.