Keurig CEO blames disastrous financials on DRM

They should not be supported for changing direction now. It would be better if their brand was permanently damaged from this failed experiment. Their CEO was an idiot for not seeing this coming, unless his strategy was to squeeze the customer until they revolt, then dial it back a notch.

Better they never regain their market share and serve as a warning to others that there is no recovery from such a stupid decision.

4 Likes

I am of the same mindset about fixing rather than replacing. Unfortunately it was part of the housing next to the hot plate that cracked, letting moisture down into the machine’s guts. No replacement parts were available new, and replacement from a donor machine was beyond my abilities. Oh well. I figured I got about 5,000 pots of coffee out of the machine before its final gurgle. Braun had some wonderful product designs back in the day.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I hope they go under, and any company trying this kind of crap in the future gets email bombed pictures of a Keurig 2.0 on a pike.

6 Likes

Interesting results from market opinion. That said, why is it we have to replace appliances every five years now?

Aeropress w/ steel mesh filter + pot of water on stove + Hario Skerton hand grinder = 14 oz of good coffee in 6-7 minutes.

You can heat water, set up an Aeropress, and press a cup in 20 seconds?

1 Like

I use Publix fine ground espresso with a small device that holds a paper coffee filter above your mug. Use a measuring spoon of your desired size to control strength of the coffee., heat water in the microwave, then poor it over the grounds. Simple, fast, cheap. My daughter had a pod machine and the coffee is way more expensive, no accounting for weak or strong, excessive non biodegradable packaging and an expensive machine, no doubt engineered to fail and require frequent replacement. I don’t know why people allow themselves to be subject to low value products, and become slaves to advertising. It is just coffee, not rocket science.

3 Likes

Well you sure should be! Any kind of DRM is WRONG and EVIL! DRM serves only ONE purpose: to restrict how you use your own purchased item. Ditto for CD’s, DVD’s, BR’s and fucking coffee machines too!

7 Likes

Words instead of abbreviations is always preferred. A professional writer only uses abbreviations after explaining their meaning in the opening paragraphs. I wonder why a digitally recorded media (DRM) has relevance to a coffee machine?

1 Like

“We” don’t.

A better question is why you have to? Either buy simpler devices, or if you need your bells and whistles, buy less cheap ones and avoid the coffee equivalent of disposable HP/Lexmark printers.

Sure there’s more cheap devices, but people want to afford all the gizmos. You’re not bound to buy the cheapest ones, just buy better.

Any regular BB reader knows what DRM stands for…

1 Like

A professional writer targets their audience and doesn’t concern themselves that you’re going to use a not ever in common-use abbreviation just to be difficult.

This is a total non-issue, and if you were sincerely confused you should educate yourself using the internet’s best tools about what Digital Rights Management (for corporations and enforced by Federal law) means for your daily life.

4 Likes

No one has mentioned the best of both worlds approach to a quick cup of decent coffee. When I want just a quick cuppa I make an americano with an entry level espresso machine that can take standard ESE espresso pods. ESE (Easy Serving Espresso) pods are made by many manufacturers (not licensed or DRM’d), and have no plastic. Can cost as little as $0.30 in bulk. Takes me about two - three minutes, about as fast as a K-cup if the machine is cold. Better for the environment, less expensive, and better tasting, too.

2 Likes

Digital rights management.

3 Likes

Such efforts taken to be proud about being wrong. If one doesn’t understand an acronym, their search engine of choice is a tab away.

1 Like

The swing out filter Braun is/was the greatest drip coffeemaker in history…
What sucks is that mine didn’t die, the carafe broke. But the maker seemed on it’s last legs, so I recycled it and figured I would just go buy a new one. Not knowing that it had disappeared from the US market…
FWIW, we bought a Mr Coffee at Target those many years back. On/Off switch in black. It’s been good.

Edit - 19 dollars before “coupon” or whatever -

http://www.target.com/p/mr-coffee-12-cup-switch-coffeemaker/-/A-10135494#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=mr.+coffee

1 Like

I do not waste time doing research on every subject that I may encounter is a amateurish blog or article. My original statement stands, as good writing uses accurate and specific writing, not leaving the reader to endless speculation or membership in some technological clique in order to understand the author’s meaning. I came here for coffee information, and to bash exploitative market practices, not to be a lawyer of copyright issues.

Huh? That’s exactly what libertarians specifically warn against all the time. It’s 101% certain that if libertarians were anywhere near the levers of power there would be no such thing as the DMCA.

Thanks - I bet I see it everywhere now!

I’ve certainly criticized Cory’s blogging before, but DRM has been a mainstream issue for years now. Explaining it in every single article would be akin to a political blog taking time out to explain that this “Obama” person is the head of state of the United States of America, or a hardware blog defining RAM every time it’s mentioned. You are expected to have a basic minimum level of political literacy, or else be willing to take a few seconds on Google to get up to speed.

8 Likes