Keurig CEO blames disastrous financials on DRM

We have an on-tap boiled water dispenser. My personal best for a cup of coffee is about 45 seconds.

1 Like

So donā€™t buy crap that is defective by design. To be clear, the real problem is that it is illegal to work around these largely ineffective protection measures. DRM is broken because it doesnā€™t work, which means it would be no problem if one could sell workarounds (e.g. software to copy DVDs, which we all know about), but thatā€™s illegal, which is the problem.

1 Like

Oh, nice. Iā€™d love to invest in one of those at some point. I go through enough tea, coffee, and uh, ramen noodles to warrant it :smile:

But keep in mind that Aeropress coffee works best a few degrees under boilingā€¦ so let it sit for a little bit before pressing.

1 Like

Digital restrictions management. Thatā€™s more accurate and better frames the situation for the uninitiated.

4 Likes

Iā€™d start with epoxy putty. If that would not stick, Iā€™d take a soldering iron and a piece of wire mesh, press the crack together and use the soldering iron to locally heat and sink the mesh into the material, then seal the crack with epoxy or (if the temperatures arenā€™t excessive) hot-melt adhesive, or other suitable material.

Thatā€™s the method for today. For tomorrow, itā€™ll be 3d-scan and 3d-print of the replacement parts (and upload to a distributed lawyer-proofed worldwide repository of spare parts).

3 Likes

Any decent Christian American can tell from the context of many BB articles that DRM obviously stands for Devil Ridden Media. Or possibly Devilish Rotten Media, both fit. Iā€™ve no need to look it up.

3 Likes

Libertarian thinktanks say otherwise.

1 Like

Some of the older tea snobs wonā€™t touch the tap because they say it doesnā€™t get as hot as a proper kettle. Win!

1 Like

For all your drivel here about ā€œamateursā€, you contribute nothing but anti-intellectualism.

Thanks!

This is the thing that makes my skin crawl every time someone gushes about Sous-vide. Hours warming in plastic. yeeearrrggg.

Actually, I agree with @aligatorhardt . I hate jargon, but I did it myself. I blame the headline.

2 Likes

Melitta (and undoubtedly several other mfg) has a 1-cup individual coffee cone for single servings. The longest part is waiting for the water to boil. If you want to be totally eco-friendly, you can even get reuseable metal mesh or muslin cone filters, but Iā€™m impatient and just compost the paper filters, grounds and all. For a change of pace, you can grind a few cocoa nibs or cloves in with your whole beans, or sprinkle spices on top of your grounds.

3 Likes

I see what you did there Keuing employee. Stop surfing Boing Boing and trying working harder on making your silly little plastic cups recyclable. : ) For those looking for an alternative, I suggest something like Bodum POUR OVER that doesnā€™t create more plastic waste for our environment. Iā€™ve had an earlier model for years. Doesnā€™t need filters, make as little or as much coffee as you like, tastes great. Just requires that you have something to boil water in.

3 Likes

Enjoy learning, do you?

5 Likes

I like that idea, thanks!

2 Likes

We have one at work and everyone ends up happy. I have never understood why someone would get one for their house. My brother has one and I just do not get it at all.

2 Likes

Keurig has been weaving The Emperorā€™s New Clothes. I get up no earlier than if I was using one, put two spoons of ground coffee into a stovetop espresso maker, donā€™t have the guilt of adding to the waste stream for every cup or adding to the pile of Keurig machines already at the landfill, and donā€™t wonder about whatever undiscovered poison is melting and leeching into my beverage. Making coffee shouldnā€™t have to involve a ā€œhack.ā€
Edit: Incidentally, I have had this ā€œapplianceā€ since the 1990s and it has never required replacement. I have cycled through a rubber gasket each decade.

3 Likes

My aunt/uncle have one, and they hate coffee. They use it exclusively to make hot tea and hot cocoa with Keurig tea / cocoa pods. Which, to me, is waaaaay more crazy than using it to make coffee at home, since the cocoa pods are literally just instant cocoa, andā€¦ uhā€¦ teabags??

4 Likes