Keyboard comes with built-in touchscreen monitor

Originally published at: Keyboard comes with built-in touchscreen monitor | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Considering the resolution, it seems like more of a half-ass monitor

10 Likes

But why? | Reaction Images | Know Your Meme

1 Like

3 Likes

Looks like it’s supposed to be a PC equivalent of the Asus zenbook pro duo, which has a half-monitor on the keyboard part of the laptop. The swooshy splash desktop background on it even makes it look visually like the ads for that laptop - I’m sure that’s just coincidence though.

The extra screen space was nice on a laptop (though mine cooked itself to death three days after the warranty expired), but on a PC, you’ve got extra desk space anyways, so why would you not just get a whole monitor? They’re not that expensive these days, and if you need a touch screen (for artists for example) there are dedicated drawing tablet screens you can get that are much better suited to the job.

1 Like

11 Likes

I could maybe see using this as a monitor keyboard combo for working with Raspberry Pis. It seems like it would server the same purpose (albeit at a higher price tag) as the Atrix Lapdock I currently use for that purpose.

4 Likes

Somebody might be able to use it, but to me it looks like the solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

2 Likes

I’m not buying it until I see someone running Doom on it.

2 Likes

It may be intended to be much less a problem-solver than a nice convenience. Someone already shopping for a mechanical keyboard may see the convenience of having a split-screen (ex: remote meetings).

1 Like

Neat. But without a numeric keypad, I’d have to pass.

USB-C is pretty common nowadays.

It’s not enough to have a USB-C cable! It has to be a “good” one, with all the lanes. The most reliable way to get one that does is to search “Thunderbolt cable”, something about that always tickles me.

2 Likes

See, if it had a compartment for an Rpi inside it… now we’re cooking with gas.

But … just make it with a computer already in it!

1 Like

Whenever I head to server rooms at clients to sort out problematical servers (boot issues etc), I need to go find the ‘crash cart’ - wheeled cart with monitor, keyboard and mouse. Usually the basics, USB for the HIDs and bog standard VGA for the monitor. Always a PITA.

But if the servers had thunderbolt ports on the front… and I was carrying this little beaut… happy days! :+1:

1 Like

“You can use your own keycaps!”

Gasp “OMG! ! yay! That’s amazing :scream:!” - WHO GIVES A SH*T!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.