Keytar made out of a Commodore 64

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/20/sid-chip-bass-guitar-made-out.html

5 Likes

This best thing about this is that it uses the Commodore 64 sound chip and wasn’t just another “I crammed a bunch of stuff into a retro device case” project.

9 Likes

The other best thing about this is that it uses an FPGA to process the sound before the SID chip. Not many audio hackers get into FPGAs.

3 Likes

Jeri’s awesome :smiley:
Kinda sad her CastAR never took off, but good to see you can’t keep a good maker down!

Wait a minute, this looks familiar.
RedGreenShow-HaroldAndRed

Parallel evolution, of course.

8 Likes

Did that thing ever play music? I only remember Harold using it to screen-wipe to the next sketch.

Not that I know of. If its precise utility and origin was ever explained, it was probably in an early episode that I missed along the way.

Someone stole Jeri’s C64 guitar a while back. Just in case you ever see it on eBay or Craigslist or on a blanket on Canal St.

If you wanted something that was booming even now, I guess you’d make equipment that did hard X-ray / advanced light source beam line experiments that also happen to be musical somehow? Or the light gizmos that are called LIDAR for self-driving cars, but are more like helical recording equipment (spinning magnet heads) with semiconductor lasers in. Are there Java apps, or…

Stuff set to soft-start on the audience’s EEG at assisted living places rather than be prescriptive tonal EEG stuff, maybe. Oh great, another coven for Soundgarden.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.