Chipsynth C64 emulates the SID sound chip "so good, it can replace hardware"

Originally published at: Chipsynth C64 emulates the SID sound chip "so good, it can replace hardware" | Boing Boing

2 Likes

The source for the text seems to have been dropped (Peter Kirn’s CDM)

4 Likes

It looks fantastic and with some very interesting features. Like they say you can analyze a bit of a note produced from another SID device and it’ll make a preset for you to emulate it, that sounds cool as hell

2 Likes

Holy shit they got 4mat to do the promotional demo.

2 Likes

The video is cute, but I was there dammit, and a lot of those visual effects are better than what was around in 1986.
I guess the song is better than what was around then too, but that’s to show off the features of the emulator, so that’s OK.

1 Like

I’m just here for the demo.

1 Like

The point is to be able to make that sound but without the limitations. Personally I think they went waytoo far. The options allow you choose particular chips not just from different series of manufacture but different days (though they swear ones from the same series, factory, and even day can sound different) but you have to applaud the bloody minded dedication.

Anyone who actually watched or read any of that and enjoyed it: CDM is excellent.

What would really blow my mind would be if someone could pick out the different chip emulations in double blind listening tests.

1 Like
3 Likes

Around the same time, I was looking into if it was possible to buy SID chips separately in quantity to use on a new 68000 arcade board, instead of the usual AY-3-8910s. That went nowhere pretty fast.

They might have been able to sell a lot of SIDs to the arcade market, but they were probably production bottle-necked just for their own use.

Probably just as well. Depending on Commodore for a crucial chip could would have been a disaster.

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.