KFC apologizes for TV ad that shows young boys staring in awe at a woman adjusting her breasts

In fact it was the entire business plan for a chain of sports bars serving greasy overbreaded wings that will remain nameless.

6 Likes

I think something a bit more fun that chicken made it into those nuggets.

That is not the complaint that the organization objecting to the ad made, though.

1 Like

Well, personally, i think its only bad because of poor choices.

Like, i got at the tail end that “oh, shes going to like a music festival”

Makes more sense

The cold open just had me wondering why it was happening at all

Same with the wierdo kids.

Cast different kids. Those two kids, personally, would creep me out if the person outside was an oak tree.

I don’t know what “direction” they got but uh, thats more than just jawdrop, eyes wide stare. Those kids look like they were told “salivate over beef, also your stoned and horny…and kids”

The mom knows her windows are reflective, so its a lil off comedically when she stares at the woman like her kids aren’t leaned forward drooling

Again, things i didn’t think id ever say, but i think the australian kfc zinger boob commercial is probably better on the page than as shot

2 Likes

Well that’s not the complaint Boing Boing relayed. Going to the Guardian article it says:

The Collective Shout spokeswoman Melinda Liszewski said the ad was a regression to tired and archaic stereotypes where young women were sexually objectified for male pleasure; and males were helplessly transfixed when confronted with the opportunity to ogle a woman’s body.

The quoted text seems to be a follow-up and clarification of this more on-point criticism. I’m presuming Boing Boing chose to use the direct quote used in the Guardian, but in doing so it makes the complaint seem misguided, when it seems the complaints did actually address the more prominent issue of using women as sales objects.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Not only does sex sell chicken, it drives traffic and sells advertising on news sites like The Guardian and BoingBoing, too.

10 Likes

And don’t forget the several companies behind the 24 trackers embedded on the BB post page. Don’t leave them out!

5 Likes

If the sexual objectification wasn’t obvious in the first shot, then look at the second scene.

This isn’t showing human passions. This is: get a load of this, boys! Women parts and chicken parts!

4 Likes

Oh yes… only teenage boys have hormones, so we can’t possibly ask them to treat women like people… TRUE WISDOM!!! /s

Did you read what they said? While what the OP quoted this:

There are interconnected issues with the larger article DOES address… No, I did not regurgitate it word for word, but I was hoping that people here were clever enough to see that it’s all of the same poison tree. What’s bad for both young men and women is that sexual attraction/desire in men is to be celebrated, while in women it’s to be denied, suppressed, etc. We very much expect young women to suppress their desires and to not be sexual beings, while we encourage it in young men to the point of expecting them to objectify women - and we do this for the very same reason, which is reinforce gender identities across the board in ways that harms both. It is harmful to BOTH young men and women in different ways, but no less harmful.

13 Likes

It’s an ad. Not a documentary. The interchange didn’t really happen. Every element of it was crafted. To sell chicken.

7 Likes

You do realize those people are paid to behave that way, right? That a TV commercial for KFC is not, in fact, real life or expected to be a gritty emulation of people on the street?

The conception of the commercial is just a lazy sitcom joke that perpetuates an annoying trope about genders.

14 Likes

Exactly. Except of course that for women who have to put up with the results of this kind of constant cultural messaging that what’s important about women is their appearance, it’s worse than annoying.

14 Likes

good-place-elanor-jason-five

10 Likes

I would imagine most preteens in that situation would giggle a lot.

And, preteens, who are trying to learn the culturally appropriate reactions to everything, learn that the correct/funny response to women is to

Yup. It is cynical and depressing, and not any less harmful that if they did it out of pure stupidity.

12 Likes

…This is a fast food restaurant chain, built on southern stereotypes, that encourages families to eat literal buckets of batter-fried meat, and here’s the BB crew, fuming that their advertiser would have the gall to seduce customers to their factory of gluttony with the sin of lust … without any regard at all for the damage done to society in the process…

Bless your hearts.

4 Likes

We contain multitudes.

8 Likes

So your fuming about fumers is somehow better?

9 Likes

Don’t leave out all the commenters smugly pointing out how everyone involved, including this website and the people commenting on it right now, is ‘culpable’ in amplifying the ad.

Nah, bless yours; all the way up, where the don’t shine… sugar.

12 Likes

okayjlaw

13 Likes