KFC apologizes for TV ad that shows young boys staring in awe at a woman adjusting her breasts

That’s a cute ad. KFC food is still awful. But I mean, doesn’t Carl’s Junior literally have girls dripping hamburger juice on their boobs?

1 Like

Ad people now regrouping to save the ad by showing the mom smiling.

2 Likes

Also:

15 Likes

derry-girls-annoyed-god

10 Likes

473915f0-8305-0132-43ce-0ebc4eccb42f

8 Likes

I wonder which is getting amplified more, the ad or the outrage?

1 Like

I’m guessing the ad, since I don’t feel no-ways “outraged.”

BS like this is just ‘business as usual’, sadly; right down to the glib dudebros automatically & emphatically defending the problematic ad as ‘no big deal’…

9 Likes

You criticize fast food, and yet you eat food.

Heh. Gotcha.

11 Likes

Here is one of the sexiest things ever written. It was written by a man about a woman (or a female muse), but nonetheless a man writing sexually:

Carnal apple, Woman filled, burning moon,
dark smell of seaweed, crush of mud and light,
what secret knowledge is clasped between your pillars?
What primal night does Man touch with his senses?
Ay, Love is a journey through waters and stars,
through suffocating air, sharp tempests of grain:
Love is a war of lightning,
and two bodies ruined by a single sweetness.
Kiss by kiss I cover your tiny infinity,
your margins, your rivers, your diminutive villages,
and a genital fire, transformed by delight,
slips through the narrow channels of blood
to precipitate a nocturnal carnation,
to be, and be nothing but light in the dark.

Pablo Neruda

The poem is about as drippingly sexual as one can get, but does it objectify? I would say it objectifies only in the second sense: that it needs to describe various aspects of the woman in order to set up the situation. But it does not reduce her (the first definition of objectify). The poem explores her, her qualities, his interaction with her, his fantasy, her mystery, her response to him, his response to her in the form of the entire sonnet.

It’s that quality of reduction that is at stake in sexual representations becoming objectifications. The KFC ad sets up the situation where what else is the viewer to think? What is shared? What equal ground do the participants work from? None, in the ad. Boys gawk, woman adjusts, KFC sells nuggets and burgers barely obscuring two crotches in the background.

I don’t know why it’s so hard to see this difference. Imagine how this Neruda poem could be turned into a 30 second scene. That would be the most amazing cinema, if anyone could pull it off.

And a poor example of one at that.

“We apologize if anyone was offended by our latest commercial. Our intention was not to stereotype women and young boys in a negative light.”

Oh? In what light did you intend to stereotype women and boys?

A growing number of reports show how reinforcing of gender stereotypes – including in advertising – contributes to a lesser view of women, resulting in their mistreatment

Do you apologise for contributing to a lesser view of women? You could even do that as an if-pology:
“We apologize if our advertisement in any way contributed to a lesser view of women.” Do you apologise for the mistreatment of women that results from that lesser view? Or is your apology limited to having caused upset among people who think women shouldn’t be viewed as lesser?

5 Likes

Much like the Carl’s Junior commercials from years ago, I don’t understand how the “ad wizards” think this shit sells food.

3 Likes

Because advertising is a largely male dominated field?

7 Likes

MIND BLOWN (not really) we get it… It’s an advertisement.

Unless a commercial immediately grabs viewers’ attention (hopefully, keeping viewers watching for more), said viewers tend to ‘tune’ the commercial out, leave the room to do something, or switch to another channel. Ad agencies know this and bow to the idiom “it’s better to ask forgiveness than permission”. Eyebrow-raisers and shock value; ad-men’s friends. The idea is to get the product into viewers’ psyche. Same applies to political ads.

1 Like

I get a double-whammy from the ad. Male gaze invited while she preens, and then the smarmy, “caught you looking” beat with the boys and the mom.

Its the same creepy vibe I get from some of the Sonic ads as well. I wish fast food could pull itself out of the 50’s mentality.

Right, but wouldn’t this type of content alienate as many or more people than it attracts? Or does that not matter because…bewbs? It’s all baffling to me.

1 Like

In that case, can I suggest you start pondering the decisions that got the ad made in this way, rather than arguing in favour of the presumed accuracy in execution of those decisions.

In other words:
NO: Is this story accurate?
YES: Why this story?

1 Like

The first line in the article starts “KFC started running this TV and online ad in Australia”

So how is an ad in another country relevant? Carl’s Junior have NO presence in Australia. As an Australian I couldn’t even tell you what type of chain they are (burger, chicken, taco, whatever…)

I think the parent hit it on the nose that the issue is the mom slut shaming her not the kids looking.

I don’t think looking at someone who comes up to your car window is a terrible thing, though maybe turning on the radio or something so they’re made aware you’re in the car is polite.

1 Like