KFC goes meatless in Atlanta

Meatless in Atlanta…is that the one with Meg Ryan?

I wouldn’t buy it because I’d still be paying Colonel Chicken Holocaust

The vegetarian “meat” products that go into these burgers/etc. are no less processed, though. They’re not any healthier. You’re better off avoiding these sort of meat products and/or preparing them yourself (which is what I do).

Didn’t make that claim. I’m not reducing my meat intake for health reasons, even if that is probably a good idea. But at this time i’m perfectly willing to trade a couple of years of my life expectancy so that the world is still somewhat habitable when my kid is grown up…

1 Like

Please share with me one reason why these lumps of processed “food” are better for you than actual veggies…

You did make that claim, though? This is what you wrote:

lots of burgers, marinated meats for barbecues, sausages and meat spreads are so obviously heavily processed that their vegetarian cousins are the better choice, in my eyes.

And this is what I reacted to. If the issue is that the meat is overly processed and as such unhealthy, the the fake meat products are no less processed and unhealthy. Whether they’re more sustainable or not is another thing altogether, but frankly even in that case you’re probably better off with vegetables prepared in ways that requires less energy and resources.

The better choice, not the healthier choice. Better, because of fewer dead animals and more efficient usage of plants.

Edit: I realize that it was a bit ambiguous, but as I had stressed that I prefer my meat usually unprocessed or hardly processed (I mean I eat raw pork), I though it was pretty clear that it was about the base of certain dishes. If you process and spice the hell out of something, it doesn’t have to be meat, after all.

1 Like

Fair enough, but again, I’d say if your point is the food being sustainable then it’s much better to just prepare them in ways that don’t require spending energy and resources trying to twist and mold vegetables into “meat”.

If the taste makes people choose them, that’s a good reason in itself. And some of that stuff simply tastes good, like chocolate. I already drink only tap water and block coffee, I’m not going to tell people who make a latte with cashew milk that they should simply man up.

1 Like

Can you show me where someone claimed this?

My young kids and I like these Quorn chicken patties a lot. I’ve served them to people who had no idea they weren’t chicken. Like KFC clearly knows, when you bread something and cook it in oil, that’s what you’re going to taste anyway, but I was very impressed with the texture.

1 Like

images%20(22)

I heard this on the radio this morning, too,on the NPR local station. No one is saying which KFC it is, though. There is probably a couple dozen in the metro area…

[ETA] Okay, so it’s in cobb, the KFC near that monstrosity that is Sun Trust Park… I’ll have reason to be in that area around the end of October, so maybe we’ll make an effort to check it out, if they’re still testing it.

1 Like

right this minute my immune system is murdering millions of innocent bacteria

4 Likes

Gah, murderer!

Thank you though for patiently waiting for that mosquito to finish drinking from you so she can wing away and feed her babies. :smile:

2 Likes

They’re not. Some of us just enjoy the flavors and textures, either because they are different from what is available from unprocessed plants, or because they remind us of the foods we grew up with.

It was inferred.

What’s wrong McFly, Chicken?

Interesting use of the passive voice here.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.