Kickstarter funded gesture input ring is a disaster

is mouse control compatible with sterility?

Sometimes they use plastic over stuff, but I think itā€™s still really hard to do a setup where the actual surgeon can use the mouse.

Hereā€™s a guy showing how sterility works (about 3:30) - you can see how specific it is for the surgeon to keep hands in a certain place:

2 Likes

Wouldnā€™t a band with the electronics in a box on the top work better especially as an early, clunky model? I am willing for people to send me money for my idea. Thanks.

1 Like

Iā€™d prefer a glove. The electronics on the back of the hand, and bend/position sensors in the fingers. Maybe just little SMD IR LEDs on the fingertips, blinking in a pattern, and a webcam (or a pair of webcams for 3D) with image recognition software that will pick the position of the LEDs and recognize which is which via the patterns. Possibly also conductive tips on the fingertips to sense fingertip-to-fingertip touches.

It looks like the computer would be operated by someone whoā€™s in the operating theatre, but not in the sterile area

Right. The surgeon is restricted about where she can put her hands and what she can touch. So for her to operate a computer, there first has to be a reason that she canā€™t get what she wants done by shouting at a nurse in a less sterile zone of the room. Then the computer setup needs to be really thought though. Thereā€™s also a lot of rules about what electronics can come in contact with or near the patient and the other equipment in the room (because of electrical interference).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.