Kickstarting an unbelievably cute otter-shaped tea-steeper

What kind of barbarian are you? You steep in one pot and then pour into another to have it wait for drinking!

2 Likes

My trusty kyusu and I agree.

1 Like

My daughter gave me one of those Man-a-teas last year - seems that the Otter is ripping off that idea (and doesnā€™t make for such a good pun)

1 Like

Iā€™m not a big tea drinker, but one of my friends used to have a tea blog (she gets weirdly fixated on things so at the time she would order tons and tons and tons of tea; Iā€™d go to her house and there was tea everywhere). She had a device that seemed like the best solution for making a cup. It was a cone that would sit on top of a mug, very similar to the pourover coffee cones, but instead of straining through there was a valve at the bottom which was operated by a handle at the side. You put the tea and water into the device, let the tea steep, then pull the trigger to release the valve and tea flowed into the mug with all the leaves strained out. I donā€™t know what youā€™d call that thing or Iā€™d Google-Fu it up for you. Perhaps someone else reading this will be able to piece together what I am talking about and provide a link. it seemed quite brilliant and better than the mani-tea or otter-tea or whatevs.

I used to have one of these:

Maybe youā€™re thinking of the Teaze tea infuser though?

Yes, thatā€™s it! The Teaze.

1 Like

To tell the truth, I drink mostly from old worn ceramic mugs and mason jars, with everything in together. The leaves go in, then water (not quite boiling, thank you), first steeping is achieved when most of the leaves hit bottomā€“Iā€™ll add more hot water on top over and over until itā€™s practically a homeopathic dilution. If I donā€™t eat the leaves they get emptied into the vermicomposter. So yeah, Iā€™ll freely admit weā€™re barbaric over here. :wink:

I suppose if youā€™re drinking Earl Grey with additions, straining the tea seems like a good idea before the cream and sugar go in. Tea leaves tend to soak up sugar or honey, in my experience, and fight the whole English-y tea style generally in a fine bone china cup (biscuit optional).

2 Likes

I like to have some control of the amount of caffeine I ingest. If I just leave the leaves steeping for 30 minutes, all bets are off!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.