Killer gets 180-day sentence for YouTube stunt gone wrong

Can’t say I’m mad at this. Reports tend to be that it was his idea, and it seems incontrovertible that he was a willing participant. She definitely needs to do some time for this but honestly his clear culpability takes a lot of the sting off.

1 Like

You’re right.

I think I let the horror of the situation get to me a bit.

8 Likes

The only thing that can stop a good woman with a gun is the demonetization of her youtube channel.

14 Likes

She has kids too, though; inadvertently killing their father because of a dumb prank doesn’t exactly speak to her ability to maintain a safe home environment.

18 Likes

There’s that. The thing that really sticks in my craw though are the cops who get off with zero jail time after having killed unarmed people intentionally (that is, “intentionally, but within the guidelines”). In other words, an intentional, but understandable, killing warrants no jail time, but an accidental one does.

21 Likes

I agree. I’m guessing that the hot takes here probably are less supported by the actual details of the incident that what was presented to the court.

Regardless, here’s my hot take: prisons are great for keeping dangerous people away from the rest of us. I doubt she’s particularly dangerous and locking her up is going to hurt more than it helps.

5 Likes

Living with that level of stupidity seems like punishment enough on its own, but anyone who would do such a thing should not be in charge of children. Though, perhaps the fact that she’s managed not to off herself or her children for a whole year since the incident means she’s learned something?

2 Likes

an accidental one does

Unless you are in a car. Freakonomics had an interesting show on this:

4 Likes

For better or worse, we don’t require any licensing or other qualifications for breeding. It is probably better for the kids to let them stay with Mom. (There are plenty of exceptions to that, and I really don’t support licenses for having kids.)

True. I’m ordinarily against taking away custody of parents’ kids, but it’s hard to argue with in this case.

There’s also the part about the deceased husband being equally culpable.

William Burroughs got 13 days. But at least Joan Vollmer’s death inspired a couple of beatniks. /bitter-sarcasm

Well really, intentionality has nothing to do with it. In practice, cops are above the law. /merely-bitter

7 Likes

I find it easy enough, she was 20 he was 22, young people do dumb things and don’t really think of the consequences.

I suspect they were used to doing dangerous things so got comfortable with the idea that something could go wrong. But they didn’t quite cue in that the “something” in this case was death as opposed to the injuries they were used to.

4 Likes

If it was just 180 days I’d say it’s not enough, the fact that she also has a lifetime ban on owning firearms (at least until the NRA comes to her aid) and can never profit from the story I think makes it almost enough. I’d say more than 180 days and some community service to boot. She’s an idiot, but I bet even she will think twice about doing ridiculous stunts in the future, plus she will carry that guilt around a long time if she has any kind of soul.

1 Like

I never quite understood why their own mortality isn’t real to young people. I sure believed in mine at that age.

4 Likes

Seems fine to me.

She’s not allowed to have a gun anymore, right?

3 Likes

She’s so stupid and insanely reckless that she shot her boyfriend dead…so we should put her back in charge of the safety and education of two kids?

3 Likes

This. You get used to it. Safety is something that has to be learned. Usually through a combination of safety conscious mentors and school of hard knocks. If you don’t have the former, you won’t get much out of the latter. (I am deeply thankful for the people in my life who encourage being safe while I’m doing dumb stuff.)

3 Likes

She didn’t mean to kill him, but she 100% meant to point a big gun at him and pull the trigger.

4 Likes

Reproducing.

I know that human beings are technically animals, but we claim to hold ourselves to a higher standard via our sentience.

That said, no; there is no regulation on human reproduction (at least not in the US) and I don’t believe there should be… but that doesn’t mean that every home a child is born into is a safe and nurturing one.

I have no viable suggestions for this sad woman or her unfortunate children; I’m just really glad I’m not in her shoes.

I’m not arguing for it, just saying that shooting your significant other isn’t a good metric to be measured by.

Oh, totally; except he’s no longer around to help shoulder the responsibility.

Imagine having to explain that to your kids…

8 Likes

Oh god, I’d forgotten.

5 Likes

Agreed. If I didn’t know the hell endured by certain friends of mine who wound up wards of the state, I’d be less ambivalent myself.

I truly can’t. I don’t envy the life she has ahead of her.

8 Likes