King's Hawaiian sued because rolls aren't actually made in Hawaii

Not exactly…

Whenever we used to visit my SO’s family, we’d stop by a frantumoio there that produced oil from trees in the local hills.

Large producers… yeah, it’s iffy, but there are still plenty of italian olive trees growing.

1 Like

To be clear, Italian beef is a specific type of beef sandwich that originated in Chicago

That’s it! 2021 is so done! I just can’t take it anymore!

Auggggggghhhhhhh…

4 Likes

@pesco That WDPE link is wrong.

They can still turn a profit exporting Italian-grown olive oil, while simultaneously importing comporable olive oil from somewhere else.

2 Likes

True, but like most places, they’re likely to keep the good stuff for themselves :slight_smile:

“East bound and down, loaded up and truckin’
We gonna do what they say can’t be done”

1 Like

There’s a place near me in San Diego that a Chicago native opened a long time ago that does Chicago dogs, beef and pizza. All of which are delicious. That was a ritual for a group of friends when we played poker once a month at a friend’s house who lives down the street from there. For 10 years till Covid. We would pick a hand around 8pm, call it the “food hand” and whomever folded first had to walk and pick up the grub. It was my job to call in the order prior.
Miss those days.

2 Likes

Not if they can get a better price elsewhere. Businesses aren’t charities - they won’t ‘save the good stuff’ for locals if it means lower profit. Either in Italy or anywhere.

You don’t know how much italians love food…

Possibly the big companies will, small producers don’t have the volume to make that sort of thing worth the effort, or the name recognition. I’m talking about producers like this: http://www.oliocartocetodop.it/

Not Bertoli, etc.

Also, just realized I mispelled frantoio…

I knew this band back in the 1980s, I even printed tee shirts for them.

I love food too. I’m kind of addicted to it. But that’s beside the point that’s unfolding here. Obviously the are small and boutique producers of practically all products in practically all countrys. But by definition those producers cannot provide for the entire market - or even a significant fraction of it. A mate has an olive orchard in Perugia from which he makes devine oil, but the annual harvest of 1-200l probably isn’t enough to satisfy Italian demand.

So, of course we’re talking about the big producers like Bertolli, who very much do not ‘save the good stuff’ for domestic consumption. They are the ones who determine whether Italy has to import oil from Spain or where ever. Not my mate in Perugia.

Yeah, but those oils have been italian in name only for while, or blended, etc…

I’m just saying I’ve never really trusted those to be what they say since I lived in Italy, and found out about the agri-mafias.

Saving the good stuff for locals? In coffee-growing regions we’ve traversed in Mexico and Central America, detestable Nescafé (*) is what’s available outside resort zones. The good stuff is packaged for export.

(*) We boycott Nestlé because third-world baby-killers.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.