King's Hawaiian sued because rolls aren't actually made in Hawaii

I had a lawyer friend who worked at a large law firm for awhile. The class action group was always sending email blasts looking for a person who would fit a specific class description.

In all likelihood , a lawyer came up with this legal argument, then they went out and solicited someone to represent the class and be the plaintiff on the lawsuit. It’s remarkably scummy business, but kinda necessary.

2 Likes

How exactly?

1 Like

Next people will be complaining that McDonald’s coffee is too hot!

2 Likes

It’s virtually impossible for an average person to have the resources to take on the largest corporations in court. The ability to be declared a class and go after corps en masse is one of the few weapons left to hold them accountable in any way, especially as the budget and authority of regulatory bodies has been stripped away.

The average class participant gets virtually nothing out of these suits, but collectively it’s a stick that can force corps to change behavior.

2 Likes

I dont see why it was necessary for lawyers to generate a controversy, then to find a person who could be convinced to complain that a bread package label was causing suffering to an extent that damages needed to be levied.

2 Likes

It’s not. It’s gross. But most limitations on class actions have only hurt consumers. It’s why the McD’s coffee case got blown up—it was used to strip away legal recourse for consumers under the guise of tort reform.

Class actions are necessary. And sometimes we get stupid cases like this out of it.

3 Likes

Well, duh - obviously!! Nice things only come from Nice, France.

14 Likes

Let’s not get into the railroad tanker loads of Coor’s beer concentrate shipped in railroad trains for “packaging and distribution” back on the East Coast.

Agreed. Let’s not. I stay as far away from Coors products as I can.

Right? And I though Isle of Man Queenies were given a whole different kind of protection!

Man, I lived a couple of miles from the factory before I moved down to the OC (it’s right off the 405), and before going to college a couple of miles from the main restaurant on Sepulveda…

And I know a secret… It’s not even real Hawaiians/Polynesians! It’s Japanese people from Hawaii (like my family) who brought their foods and businesses when they moved to the Torrance/Gardena area. Hmm… there’s probably hapa folks as well that are part native Hawaiian…

Hmm… wouldn’t it be an interesting legal ploy to fight this by arguing that it’s not Hawaiian by geography, but by ethnic background?

4 Likes

King’s has sued other companies claiming they have exclusive rights to “Hawaiian rolls”.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you can’t even get Italian beef in Italy…

Dog forbid that product quality should be the selling point.

1 Like

New England Clam Chowder

1 Like

And Hershey Chocolate is now made in Mexico… :frowning:

you cant get Italian Olive oil in Italy, they have to import their oil now.

Moisture is what grows microbes. Sugar and salt act as desiccants, but the effect doesn’t happen until levels are high enough to diffuse water out of cells (at the jam-and-jerky level, if you will). A high moisture content will mold quicker, but will take longer to get stale. Staleness in baked goods is drying out.

The sugar difference between a King’s and any other roll is not high enough to matter. More to the point, the other person was talking about staleness, you’re talking about mold. “Going bad” comes in different forms. Refrigeration staves off mold growth, but also dries out food because artificially cooling air pulls moisture out of it (hence “air conditioning”).

Mold growth is a function of temperature and moisture. So if things get moldy quickly for you, it’s down to the temperature and humidity where your food is stored.

7 Likes

FYI, only Americans call it that. It’s “back bacon” to the rest of the world. Canadians call “bacon” the same thing you do.

5 Likes

I hate to break it to you, but the claymation for the California Raisins was done in Oregon…

3 Likes