Kiss your boring job goodbye—you’re about to learn how to program

I know just enough about real servers to know I should leave most of it to the professionals! (I wouldn’t run screaming, but I might back away slowly.)

I had one class in MIPS based assembly. I actually enjoyed it, apparently that was something of a rarity, mostly because it was so different from the other programming I’ve done. That doesn’t mean I want to do it for a living, but I do enjoy getting a different view on things and I was appreciative of that. (If I couldn’t learn something new taking these classes, why would I be doing this to myself at my age?)

4 Likes

Kiss your boring job goodbye, and replace it with a whole different boring job?

6 Likes

Yes! A whole different boring job that hopefully at least pays better.

6 Likes

I think that might be The American Dream*

4 Likes

last time I kissed my boring job goodbye I learned I was fired!

4 Likes

And since it pays better, demands more out of you, such that you’ve now replaced a boring job with a high-pressure boring job. And since you were able to land said boring job with a $29 online course, you find yourself highly replaceable and thus work yourself to the bone to hold the job. Only to be tossed out for the next 22 year old fresh grad with a “passion” for it who will undercut you by 15k/yr.

5 Likes

Markov chain them together!

5 Likes

Kiss your boring job goodbye—you’re about to learn how to program

Some of us would read that as a threat.

9 Likes

My sweetie is a software developer, so my disillusionment is already handled, but thanks for the encouragement.

5 Likes

LOL! Refugee from the profession here.

4 Likes

So what did you move on to? In case my next step doesn’t work out :wink:

5 Likes

Grad school for music. Then some bartending. Then tech consulting. Then personal training. And now on to the next…

3 Likes

Hi kids, I’m posting this from my boring programming job. How boring you ask? Well the last week’s been full of work that nobody needs & I’m taking a mid afternoon break to read boingboing.

11 Likes

“One of the biggest mistakes budding coders make is learning outdated languages.”

Considering this changes about every 6 months or so, I’d say the biggest mistake is focusing on a language, rather than the principles that can be used with any language.

7 Likes

Appreciate the offer, but no thank you. I’m doing quite well right now stuffing envelopes in my spare time at home!

4 Likes

How does that work out for you? Serious inquiry.

1 Like

National parks service? The pay is mediocre, the jobs are hard to get, and you spend half of your time emptying bins and cleaning toilets.

As a general rule for outdoor work: hot, cold, soaked, thirsty, leeches, ticks and hills. High risk, low pay, minimal job security and work that is often akin to trying to bail out a torpedoed battleship with a teaspoon.

Still beats office work, though. Cubicles are tombs.

2 Likes
6 Likes

</gasp>

unclosed tag was driving me crazy

7 Likes

<gasp /> ?

1 Like