Koch-funded "academic freedom" grifters run into trouble at Wellesley

That’s due to the conspiracy of the anti-cannibal cabal. They suppressed her papers at Baba Yaga Press, even though they themselves lack standing in that field.

2 Likes

It is shorter than ‘demurred to audience elaborated lies of’ but like that bit by the fired CIA director’s wife (and also public servant) (sorry) it painted a scaffold of knavery around a barely competent evil, and some good behavior about other people, then folded its hands. I had been accustomed to a torch song about there always being lawyers* followed by a juicier diss track on how Maduro would be folded and spindled.

*Or whipped cream substitute, or reddit, I think.

3 Likes

Is there some connection between Mayer and Scientology?

Google is not helping.

I went to a UK NUS national meeting as a delegate in the 80s. I can understand how a lot of jargon could have come out of that organization. It was hermetically countercultural - a minority of a minority of people were at all interested, and I went because my friends assured me a boozy junket. There were an awful lot of murky resolutions (I remember the NUS backed the communist party’s characterization of AIDS as a conspiracy against gay people). I almost got beat up for suggesting that men be allowed to run for election. Good times!

2 Likes

That’s just it, I follow, index and archive Scientology stories. Outside of that, I usually don’t pay much attention to who wrote what, but all Jane Mayer’s articles have been outstanding.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. They do indeed sound like scoundrels.

But may I ask, do you approve of “no-platforming” those who hold what you consider abhorrent views?

(Just to lay my cards on the table, I’m a Canadian who is quite comfortable with the government criminalizing hate speech, which is the ultimate form of “no-platforming”. I’m also cognizant that someday, under a different government administration, such laws might someday be used to suppress speech that I support.)

Here’s a relevant opinion piece from the Toronto Star.

My question is: why is it always the fascist/white supremacists who get to play the Freeze Peach card? No absolute free speech defenders cry much when it’s the Pick Up Artists or other objectionables.

3 Likes

As someone who has been the subject of several no-platform attempts, I try to keep a pretty circumspect POV: academic freedom requires academic responsibility. Most of these “academic freedom” arguments are really a defense of the status quo, which can be done responsibly or irresponsibly. It’s hard to clearly define, but I would probably say that presentation of fringe theories and ideas must be taken on a case-by-case basis that contextualizes the messenger and the intent.

2 Likes

So why does she have an article on UmbraXenu :confused:

Because I started collecting her articles on the Mercers and friends too, and I hate red-links. :grinning:

(I get a lot stuff for “free”, like her infobox and picture, because I copied Wikipedia’s templates and it’s a sister mediawiki.)

2 Likes

Are they? Seems to me like they’re usually arguments for inclusion on campus of thoroughly discredited ideas and ideologies. The status quo on most campuses includes a widespread (if not qiite unanimous) recognition, especially among faculty, that any reasonable debate on such ideas has already happened.

3 Likes

All of the invited speakers were advocating for a return to some old way of doing things. I liked this piece on Jordan Peterson:

In that sense Jordan is less a person and more a physical and intellectual agglomeration of What We Are Up Against, which is resistance against nascent challenges to the status quo in which everyone finds their place without having to earn it. That’s why, despite how much his critics may want to, it is hard to ignore Jordan – his popularity is emblematic of a time when the discourse on women’s and minority rights is being corrupted by a political and social nostalgia for hierarchy.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s the only useful answer I received!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.