Korean 'Uncle Service' lets you hire thugs to intimidate your kids' bullies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/15/violence-inherent-in-the-syste.html

2 Likes

“Uncle Package” is the name of my new middle-aged David Lee Roth cover band.

23 Likes

I am reminded of

and

I was the only one in the theater that laughed when the second film referenced the first.

13 Likes
6 Likes

I want to become korean and go back to school and get the super uber delux version where the uncle brings ice cream for everyone except the bully.

10 Likes
8 Likes

It could escalate quickly…

I’ll bet somebody is going to launch a countermeasure service and start an arms race with increasingly powerful uncles.

11 Likes

I kind of want to quit my job and do this, but alas, I’m 5’6” and not terribly intimidating-looking. But I am already “Uncle Nick” to a number of my close friends’ kids. Hmmmm. Maybe if the current gig doesn’t pan out, I’ll take a swing at it. Perhaps elementary school only… :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Seriously now. I do not know Korean law, but doesn’ t it have a faint smell of illegality? It looks like an intimidation service like those of the bad mafia movies. I think It could backfire if someone feels harmed and resolves to bring the case to the court.

2 Likes

It’s fascinating because this is a reflection of Asian shame culture, with the premium package having the bully going to the parents workplace. If this was a western service, that option would probably be the bottom tier.

8 Likes

“Pedro offers you his protection.”

8 Likes

What does the ‘Aunt Service’ do?

3 Likes

I have to admit - as a parent of 2 kids decidedly off the path to jockdom - there is something appealing about this.

I understand the real way to solve this is to foster empathy and respect from an early age. But - some kids don’t get the memo (I blame crap parents) - and can really mess up a sensitive kid’s self esteem.

Likely to be deemed illegal in North America.

1 Like

craig-ferg-go-wrong

7 Likes

This kinda reminds me of Three O’Clock High:

3 Likes

This article brought to mind a scene from the otherwise abysmal second season of “True Detective”:

1 Like

From what Korean friends have told me, Korean schools sound pretty messed up. Apparently, for example, if one doesn’t give sufficient gifts to one’s child’s teachers, they’ll bully the child.

2 Likes

Sounds like Catholic elementary school

3 Likes

“Auntie Service” would spread gossip through female gossip networks that the bully’s mother is not a good mother.

13 Likes

Not being a minor would probably increase the penalties for the ‘uncle’; but if the situation is such that there’s a market for private sector bully deterrence it would appear that intimidation and feelings are harm are not an enforcement priority, or bullying would be slightly less popular.

1 Like