Krakatoa eruption of 1883 could be heard 3000 miles away

[Permalink]

Sort of puts “the shot heard 'round the world” in its metaphorical place.

2 Likes

Krakatoa is actually west of Java

You are referring to the ill-named movie, “Krakatoa, East of Java”, I presume.

Or it was that big an explosion, it shifted the entire island.

2 Likes

The only people to escape fled on a wooden platform supported by twenty balloons.

5 Likes

I’m going to go with that from now on.

2 Likes

Yes. By way of the B-52’s song :smile:

1 Like

Desmond did it.

1 Like

It’s still east of Java, its just a longer way round :smile:

6 Likes

Just want to pedantically note that the sound registered 172 decibels at a distance of 100 miles. Seems safe to assume it may have been significantly louder close up.

So what’s the carrying capacity of air for sound? Like, can air soak up and transfer eleventy-million decibels when the sun explodes? Or is it capped by sound traversing through gas and can only register 350 before the receiver melts?
Well, when Yellowstone goes off we’ll have more current instrument-driven data to compare.

1 Like

It’s about 194 decibels.

At that loudness, the troughs in the sound waves are hard vacuum.

7 Likes

I noticed that the video in the referenced article should have been portrait mode. :smile:

Holy smokin’ Toledo’s. Did the accent of the man shooting that video change from true blue 'strayan (read: Australian) to 'Merica, fuck yeah in an instant?

1 Like

That book blew me away as a kid.

I reread it a few yeas ago. Alas, the suck fairy had hit it in the interim.

1 Like

My cousins and I actually saw that in the theatre during its run! It was very kid friendly, considering, and wickedly hyped.

When Mount Saint Helens went off, I heard it from near Vancouver British Columbia, about 300 miles away. It sounded like somebody was doing blasting over a nearby hill.

That was a much smaller volcano, of course.

1 Like

One site says “An instantaneous pressure wave of 310db and a sustained 170-190db sound wave.” Someone pointed out that 192dB is the limit for sustained sound, as pressures can’t go below zero. (dB should be capitalized, as it is someone’s name)

1 Like

#SHET YOUR IGNORENT MOUF!

It came up in the threads sometime in the past year, and I re-read it via interlibrary loan. Some parts were longer than I would have liked, and the framing device was a bit wonky – but 'twas all a blast!