Kronos Quartet's Terry Riley Festival this weekend in San Francisco!

[Read the post]

1 Like

Oh I like Terry Riley! I found an LP of In C as a teen and it had the score printed inside the album. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen. I was such a nerd.

1 Like

Obligatory post of one of his best works, IMO.

So, so good. Great acid fuel, too.

Saw Riley’s birthday concert at MIT in April with friends and it was one of the most healing concerts I’ve ever attended. It began with “Poppy No-good and the Phantom Band” played by about 20 saxophones and reed instruments in Kresge Auditorium, an eighth of a sphere with sonorous acoustics. Ten instrumentalists on stage holding their instruments while the music began behind us as ten other instrumentalists walked around the auditorium. As the piece progressed, the rich tones actually vibrated throughout my body and the sounds changed as people changed positions. It was like a sonic cleansing for my brain and body.

A concert I will remember for the rest of my life. A really great gift from the musicians and the music to the audience.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen Kronos, but they had Terry along with them at least once. Lots of cool music, much of which he wrote for them to perform, but I’d also had a CD of “In C” back when I first got a CD player.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.