Kubrick wanted a clear monolith for 2001: A Space Odyssey

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/05/kubrick-wanted-a-clear-monolit.html

5 Likes

link to that comic book?

3 Likes

That opening scene with the tribe of apes would’ve been so much funnier if they were just doing the “invisible wall” mime bit.

19 Likes

I searched for Monkey Mime and I’m sorry but this is terrifying.

BG2Q

16 Likes

I mean it’s clear in the book? That and cutting down the ape portion to an intro are the biggest changes imho.

1 Like

Mummenschanz has scarred many a young child’s mind…

6 Likes

It looks strangely familiar…

:astonished:

6 Likes

The acrylic monolith today:

12 Likes

The movie isn’t an “adaptation” of the book in a traditional sense; the book and the movie were being written/produced concurrently and the novel was released after the film.

10 Likes

Kubrick hired the right actors to play the apes, anyway:

For the opening sequence involving tribes of apes, professional mime Daniel Richter played the lead ape and choreographed the movements of the other man-apes, who were mostly portrayed by his mime troupe.

8 Likes

I had a super-sized version of the comic. Thing was like tabloid size. Deliciously illustrated by Jack Kirby! Was a thing of beauty!

7 Likes

This one is just outside my office:

14 Likes

Have you evolved yet?

12 Likes

I think if “vanta black” was around when he filmed the movie, Kubrick (or Clarke) would’ve chosen that for the paint.

My memory could be clouded as it’s been many years since reading the books, but I recall a description of the monolith being “blacker than black” and that is absorbed all light and did not reflect any light.

8 Likes

Sure. When I started the job I was an untenured assistant professor, now I am full.

10 Likes

I remember reading The Lost Worlds of 2001, and the author talked about going to extreme measures to keep that black surface pristine. It appearantly showed fingerprints like a motherfucker.

The creative process leasding up to that montage at the end was particularly memorable. “Paint an image that doesn’t make you think of anything” was the instruction for hundreds of thumbnails. I imagine Kubrick was not much fun to work for.

7 Likes

Trivia I remember from the novel: The Monolith’s sides are in the proportion 1, 4, 9, and so on, 16, 25, 36… into higher dimensions.

I must say I like the reuse of the acrylic version. Also:

FREE CASH

withdrawals
4 Likes

i think maybe both were originally set to end with saturn if memory serves, but voyager was sending back all these pics of jupiter so they changed it

i think

1 Like

No Voyager was launched in 1977. Pioneer went first, in 1972, still way before 2001 was made.

edit: I saw 2001 on first run, with my parents. The scene where Bowman breaks into HAL and starts pulling components out scared the hell out of me.

2 Likes

The movie 2001 was made in 1968.

4 Likes