LA legalizes lowrider cruising again

Originally published at: LA legalizes lowrider cruising again - Boing Boing

2 Likes

Not to gatekeep or anything, but you really do want a bit more wheelbase and enough trunk for a few good subwoofers.

6 Likes

For all your subwoofer needs. :smile::+1:

93suyfm8hbj51

12 Likes
14 Likes

Buy an AR15 for your kid? No problem!

Drive your art car lowrider around town on a Friday night? you are a criminal

8 Likes

I have a '67 Oldsmobile myself – pretty much stock – but it’s enough of a classic that when I do encounter a low-rider there are always waves and smiles. I have never seen a guy out in a low-rider (or, for that matter, a Donk) that was not having a visibly great time.

(This is not quite my experience with people in old Mustangs and Camaros, who sometimes take themselves too seriously. The more obscure the old car and the more non-performance customization that’s gone into it, the happier the driver).

17 Likes

From what I know about car hobbies, you won’t be able to afford drugs or have time to hang out in gangs. They are always broke and busy on the weekends in the garage. :wink:

12 Likes

Back in Baltimore there’s a “Lipton Iced Tea” donk, it’s blue with big ass lemon slices all over and a vinyl wrap that says “It’s Brisk Baby!”… that dude knows what’s up.

3 Likes

Maybe they were gang associated at some point long ago but today it’s totally a middle aged Hispanic thing. It’s become like a form of “outsider art”. Low riders are cool.

Gangs have moved on to sideshows and street takeovers, which are very scary and dangerous, and those should be stopped.

1 Like

Completely agree. I used to have a 66 Continental convertible, and same thing. Once I was even invited to drive a parade of them along the Embarcadero in SF, and since I wasn’t doing anything that Sunday afternoon I thought why not? They were awesome. Great music too.

2 Likes

The amount of work that goes into the high end lowriders is ridiculous:

Not necessarily my taste, but I can appreciate the effort it must take.

6 Likes

Like this?

oldsmobile 1967 delmont 88

What a tremendous slab.

5 Likes

saw some great examples at the petersen museum the last time i was in L.A. the paint jobs alone are worth the look; fantastically detailed and intricate. then when you see the mechanical and body customization the passion and craftsmanship really hits you. truly an art form.

1 Like

I tried googling for a Prius low rider, but no dice. The first few images were a slammed one, a stanced one and what looked like a time attack/hillclimb car, which was cool, but it appears noone as yet has built a pinstriped, dancing Prius. Which is kind of a shame :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

2 Likes

Not even fuzzy ones? :wink:

4 Likes

This isn’t mine – and mine is Cream or Ivory or something – but I’ve got a '67 Cutlass convertible:

4 Likes

It really is amazing. It’s not my taste but I can still admire it.

1 Like

The engines look like Scrimshaw for cars. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

hope you live someplace where you get to drive it every day!

2 Likes

It is. This art seems to be preserved in Mexico more than anywhere else. This guy does it on guns. Not my usual style but it is beautiful.