Lake Mead is dangerously close to becoming a "dead pool"

Bbc Comedy GIF by The QI Elves

3 Likes

I wonder if we’ll see some big ol’ water pipeline projects in the next 50 years.

2 Likes

Take my East Coast rain. I have a gutter they can tie into.

2 Likes

probably depends a lot on who wins in the midterms and the next presidential election. republicans have shown no interest in addressing climate change, building infrastructure, or well… having a functioning government :confused:

4 Likes

Of course there are plans – they want to steal the Mississippi, which is currently emptyish due to drought and whose water is already fully spoken for by the Doctrine of Prior Appropriation, and the Great Lakes, whose water is already cemented by treaties into its current allocations and cannot legally be tapped without sign-off from existing parties to the Great Lakes Compact. Years ago, it was proposed to ship icebergs from Alaska, but that would probably not work as desired – too little water, too much melt, too much energy spent to move them, too much environmental impact if it was implemented on a large scale or if there was an accident. All of the West Coast river water that could be diverted or tapped are already spoken for as well, usually with treaties or other legal limits on what could be done with any “excess” water. Nuclear-powered desalination plants, solar stills, more reservoirs, there are a ton of plans for dealing with a lack of water in the Southwest, but as far as I can tell, at the current level of human technology, there are no really viable, ready to go options.

And lets be honest, at the current level of American politics, any such program would immediately be weaponized and used as a crude bludgeon, and the water itself would be claimed in almost its entirety by industry, agriculture, and mining, leaving the cities and environment parched as usual.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.