LAPD suspect that a man found stuffed in a barrel is probably the victim of foul play

Originally published at: LAPD suspect that a man found stuffed in a barrel is probably the victim of foul play | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

It really does feel like that. Although I will not be shocked if they rule it accidental or suicide. Easier to close the case that way.

10 Likes

It is possible (though unlikely) that the man died of something other than murder and someone subsequently tried to dispose of his body to help cover up some other crime such as recreational drug use gone bad or identity theft.

12 Likes

Barrel Influencers, who knew?

12 Likes

Thank you, that Liebowski clip is the first thing I thought of.

7 Likes

You see, he was on a ladder changing a light bulb in the nude when he slipped, and well…the rest is pretty obvious.

5 Likes

season 14 episode 3 GIF

11 Likes

“Then he ran into my knife! He ran into my knife ten times!”
Chicago Shades GIF

5 Likes

That he didn’t seal himself in the barrel is pretty obvious. That he was murdered is a reasonable inference, but yet to be confirmed.

Wouldn’t be the first time someone tried to conceal the death of a person who died of natural causes for personal gain.

12 Likes

I’m no law speaking guy, but I think you do have to give them the benefit of the doubt here, since them saying “yes the guy was absolutely murdered” could jeopardize any case against a potential suspect.

Sort of like when they find a guy covered in blood, holding a severed head in one hand and a large knife in the other hand, they still have to refer to him as the alleged murderer until proven in court.

4 Likes

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/0f75b747-e061-461a-9357-b9f29cddb629

4 Likes

#BarrelChallenge

4 Likes

Niagara or GTFO.

8 Likes

The charge would be significantly lighter weight; but it looks like California quite specifically takes a dim view of attempting to dispose of accidents; so there’s definitely room to optimize the reported murder rate; but there would still be a case left hanging.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s actually perfectly reasonable of them to not jump to conclusions, and potentially have to walk back their statements when they actually knew more. Now, if only they’d have the same professionalism when it came to what they said about people who interact with the police themselves…

7 Likes

So you’re saying that the barrel didn’t encapsulate him for his own protection, in accordance with procedure, after he attacked it in a drug-fueled rampage?

4 Likes

“He suffered a ‘spontaneous barreling’ during an interaction with the police…”

4 Likes

Was he of Russian heritage? Clearly a suicide.

2 Likes

Was he, perhaps, charged with reinstalling the Bu’s “public beach” signage we’ve all recently read about?

1 Like

There is another option

2 Likes