U.S. Capitol Police officer dead after events resulting from Trump riot

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/07/one-u-s-capitol-police-officer-confirmed-dead-after-events-stemming-from-trump-riot.html

8 Likes

I just can’t get over how much the self-proclaimed “law and order” party supports the police.
Maybe now the FBI will get around to arresting the domestic terrorists.

29 Likes

A law enforcement officer was killed on Pennsylvania ave. as Donald Trump encouraging a mob to attack the US capitol.

How many more law enforcement officers will die before Trump leaves office?

Clock reads 1

13 days to go.

16 Likes

Admittedly sketchy details, but this could mean that capital murder charges could (should!) be brought against every one of them.

Edit: “Felony murder” was the intended term, not capital murder.

12 Likes

Doesn’t felony murder still exist in the US?

That’s barbaric. Murder is for when you kill someone.

8 Likes

I wonder how this latest death will affect the chance of Trump pardoning the rioters.

3 Likes

Sorry, I had the definition backwards. You are correct, “felony murder.”

4 Likes

So much for Blue Lives Matter. Not that we ever thought they were being sincere about that slogan…

Nothing matters except what is expedient and useful in the moment - as per how cults work.

20 Likes

Pardoned those Blackwater folks - don’t see why that would stop him from doing it here.

15 Likes

He just pardoned mercenaries who shot Iraqi kids in the head, so not a tough choice for him

21 Likes

The Blackwater guys murdered brown “foreigner” civilians. Not white male American cops.

19 Likes

I do not support Felony Murder charges because I believe it is an unjust law. IMO, only the person who pulled the trigger (metaphorically speaking) should face a murder charge.

Also, I don’t think the fact this latest death is a police officer should alter the calculus. “Blue lives” are not more valuable than any other life.

All that having been said, the fact there have been five deaths (so far) linked to the invasion and occupation of the US Capitol Building should, by all means, figure into the penalty phase for everyone convicted for their participation.

I would specifically include President ⊥rump and Rudy Giuliani in that, as they incited that riot that turned into a coup attempt.

12 Likes

A police officer dying from a stroke is not felony murder.

However an accomplice who dies of gunshots at the hands of security is. The terrorists who stormed the Capitol can be charged.

5 Likes

all of the folks trespassing now should be looking at felony murder charges.

4 Likes

Depends. Was it the officer who was beaten and tased multiple times? That would probably merit a murder charge.

8 Likes

Does this mean the cop body count from one day of Blue Lives Matter is higher than an entire year of protests from BLM et al.?

21 Likes

The mercenary pardon could be transactional. He was doing a favor for Eric Prince.

6 Likes

I wonder if that means the stroke was direct result of an injury from the mob or did the stressful situation trigger a pre-existing medical condition?

5 Likes

Comorbidities?

3 Likes

After hearing that the first announced death was an active USAF member and seeing the pictures of cops posing for selfies I can only wonder: was this cop part of the mob or did they die trying to secure the capitol?

1 Like